• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. Terry Mayes

Mossberg MVP predator action wrench

Brownells has a couple, and Pacific Tool has an affordable barrel vice if you need one of those.
  2. Terry Mayes

MVP Varmint vs Ruger M77 Hawkeye vs CZ527 Varmint

I have an MVP, the Thunder Ranch/18" barrel, and the Hawkeye Predator, which has a 22" heavy barrel. The MVP is very good as accuracy goes with bullets out to 68gr. The extra weight on the Hawkeye, naturally, gives the Hawkeye the edge for accuracy at any range. That may not be the case with...
  3. Terry Mayes

Rifle sling

My thought is that any sling should address how you are going to use it. I have several types, some are a support for offhand shooting, some are to give my hands a rest on a stand and make it easier to carry while dragging out deer. Leather looks best on a lever rifle, to me. Nylon lasts...
  4. Terry Mayes

MVP LC aftermarket trigger question

bikeman, The Timney upgrade is just the trigger, not the complete assembly. It's for shooters that don't like the Accutrigger. As such, it shouldn't require any modification to the safety clearance, etc. Personally, I like the Accutrigger as a type, it usually comes home a bit rough in...
  5. Terry Mayes

Varmint rechamber

Check with McGowen and Shaw. Exchanging emails, they both indicated they could swap out that barrel. The only issue I see is the need to get the nut to line up with headspace and the action. But that might be easy, I know not.
  6. Terry Mayes

Groups with rifled slugs at 100 yards?

TruBall slugs are not a bad product, but they're not sniper loads either. I get nearly identical results with the blue box Federals. Some shotguns shoot the Brenneke's and some do not. My 20ga and 12ga both shoot Remington, Winchester, and Federal slugs of the same weight, to the same point...
  7. Terry Mayes

New to reloading. Real world advice?

I shoot one or two times a month to maintain profeciency (50 rounds or so each outing) and other than sighting in I don't use a benchrest. So what I'm looking for is advice on what do I really need? I plan to use both mechanical scales and electronic. Powder throwing will be either a throw...
  8. Terry Mayes

MVP Predator bolt question

My MVP has about 200 rounds down range, and it also has a bit of play in the "flipper". The flipper is steel, and doesn't really see a lot of stress stripping a round from a magazine. Not likely a issue. If you feel the need, get a spare roll pin, spring and flipper for your parts drawer in...
  9. Terry Mayes

Scope rings

You could go that route, as a lapping kit will correct for any bias encountered while tightening the rings down. If you want an economy method, get a 10" section of 1" diameter steel rod stock. Metal suppliers sell by the inch/foot, and shipping will cost about as much as the rod. You simply...
  10. Terry Mayes

MVP Predator drop bolt question

I have about 200 rounds through my MVP, and it also has a bit of play. As the little flipper is steel, I wouldn't worry about wearing it out soon. Could be worth adding a spring, flipper, and roll pin to my parts collection, but it doesn't look like a high risk issue.
  11. Terry Mayes

Aftermarket barrels available?

I asked the same question from E.R Shaw, as I was wanting one in .35 Whelen. The tech guy indicated it was no problem to supply a barrel for the Mossberg's with a barrel nut. Apparently the threads and etc. are the same as a Savage. I suspect McGowen would be able to do that, and you could...
  12. Terry Mayes

I want it ..I want it bad

Rifle magazine has a pretty complete review on the Revere in the latest issue, with some good pictures of the finish and fit. Worth a read if you have any questions.
  13. Terry Mayes

Trigger adjustment

Just turn that big screw in/out. The red stuff is there to keep it from adjusting itself, so it may feel a bit on the tight side. Before you start turning, take a can of WD-40 to the trigger assembly, then thoroughly flush the WD out with gunscrubber. That will take any grit and chunks from...
  14. Terry Mayes

If you could only have one rifle would it be the MVP?

The MVP Patrol certainly qualifies as a do it all truck gun, and accuracy has been good by most of the stuff I've seen, (and not on some marketing blurb). The iron sights are durable, but the bead size and short sighting plane will limit how well it shoots as is. A scope is worth the money if...
  15. Terry Mayes

Patriot 308 ammo

That would indeed be exceptional.
  16. Terry Mayes

I want it ..I want it bad

Sure looks like the Patriot has done well enough to carry an upgraded model. I hope the free floated barrel has less gap, my guess is yes, but the wood in the picture looks real nice. I wonder if Mossberg would do a special order for a 7-08 ?
  17. Terry Mayes

Patriot vs MVP action...same thing???

The fact that both rifles carry a barrel nut tells me you need to properly headspace the combination of barrel and bolt with the barrel nut and a headspace gage. With the exception of the bolt stop on the MVP, the two bolts are identical, and the bolt face/locking lugs could be exchanged for...
  18. Terry Mayes

MVP Patrol Iron Sight Problem

I mounted a Williams Guide Receiver Sight on my Thunder Ranch, and it worked fine sighted in at 100yds. It shoots low at 25yds, but only by a couple inches. I pulled mine off after playing with it a bit. The front bead is too big to be useful on foxes and coyotes.
  19. Terry Mayes

Extended maazine

Vortex makes the scope. I'd be surprised if there's enough demand to drive the development of a 10 round magazine in a Patriot. It's really a hunting rifle.
  20. Terry Mayes

Patriot 243

Like Don, I bought an MVP just to see if they would shoot, (based on a couple magazine reviews), and it shot like a champ, (and still does). My Remingtom M700/7mm-08 was giving me fits, so I picked up a Walnut Patriot 7-08. It also shoots real well, and seems to improve with JB and a couple...
Back