• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. C

Front sling stud Alternate location

Well, contacted Mossberg, and it's been outta warranty. For a while. They said I could always send it in for free evaluation if it ever has issues, and they were very prompt and courteous in their reply. Anyway. I went off and further modified this oldie but goldie. I know, it was a...
  2. C

Kind of Surprised at this...

Find out if it is dimensionally similar to the 500, via Google searches. If it is, this would indeed work. Also, just read up on those Hatsuns a week ago; nice Guns for a very nice price.
  3. C

Exactly. I always grab it there when we're out shooting, etc. I don't always run that sling, and it's probably still going to get modified into a side mounted sling.
  4. C

Couldn't more than glance earlier. Definitely not worried about justifying it. I really like it, and learned years ago, that many of the gun crowd are not gonna be nice if you don't spend as much as they do or buy what they buy. I was just interested in sparking a conversation on these...
  5. C

Well, it got in this morning. 1.85 ounces, which is superbly light. Now, time will tell if it shifts or holds up relatively well. I'll keep this updated. Many people said in reviews that it was quite durable and not too bad; also said to just buy longer 4-40 screws, which I did since one of...
  6. C

Forgot to mention that factor. I pretty much don't shoot with gloves ever, as I feel even with good gloves you lose some fine dexterity. Self defense scenarios are not included there, as fine motor and dexterity are probably gone anyway. As for weight, the poly shields weigh almost nothing...
  7. C

I have researched, and finally ordered a heat shield. Ordered one of the Masen polymer heat shields, as it got good reviews, mostly, and it will serve a very good purpose for me. One of my favorite features of the Mossbergs, in contrast to my past of 870'dom, is the open feed chamber. You can...
  8. C

I know, I don't have that takedown screw, nor do I want it on the very front. It is nice, though. I'd prefer a side sling mount. We'll see if I get around to it. :)
  9. C

Very nice! Yeah I'm thinking about doing it, already got all the tools needed. I drilled and tapped a spare front sight block for one of my ARs that doesn't have taper pins drilled. Can't really add a random FSB to a barrel that wasn't drilled for it, but this worked very well.
  10. C

I agree, I figure Mossberg would be awesome either way. Most companies like to support their legacy older stuff. I could get the Magpul forward sling mount, but that's like $30, and I just love tinkering. Already shortened the Walnut stock for a nicer 12.5 in length of pull, very nice shooting...
  11. C

So, curious, as to this idea I have. I currently have the pictured sling stud, installed in the factory barrel lug location. I'm wondering, if I could tap the side of the barrel lug where circled, and reinstall the stud there. This would facilitate more of my preferred side slide method. I...
  12. C

First time out Range Rep

Agreed, CaddmannQ. The gun is lighter, in my mind, than my Old 870s with steel receivers. Seems like she just jumps a bit, at the end. I'll gently drill into my walnut forend to make it work. I don't plan on getting rid of it, and it'll be inconspicuous when the strap may be off the gun, but...
  13. C

First time out Range Rep

Had already taken both pieces of advice, post clean and inspected last night. :) Already thoroughly cleaned, and tightened barrel lug using down pressure method. We'll see if it loosens next tine, or if I just hasn't really tightened it properly beforehand. I don't think it'll be an issue now...
  14. C

First time out Range Rep

Just took it out, and noticed a slight rotational wobble to the barrel. Not fore/back movement, just slight rotation. Just read up that it's best to, make sure it's unloaded, then place stock on ground barrel facing up, and use palm to put pressure on barrel tip while hand tightening magazine...
  15. C

First time out Range Rep

Well, first night out with my new to me Moss 500. Coming only from 870s in my past, I was excited after a 7 year shotgun hiatus, to get back out. I was right to be excited. My 1987 500 ran absolutely beautifully, and I only short stroked it once. :D Just not used to that recoil. Ran...
  16. C

Stumped....shell capacity?

Just took my new to me 500 out and man I feel that. :)
  17. C

Receiver Finish Question

The more I think about it, the more I may just leave her exactly as she is. I never have owned a gun this old, and it's kinda cool. It's only a year younger than me, does that make me old and historic, too? :D It's just a neat gun, as is. We don't have any family heirloom guns, so this is the...
  18. C

New Here and Have a Question

Yes, I was reading about the beefed up components. Being hauled through tight steel corridors and hatches of ships makes sense for more metal stuff. Other than those few changes, it appears as thought the 590 is internally the same shotgun as the 500? Off to read more. :) Edit: Just did the...
  19. C

New Here and Have a Question

Appreciate all the additional insight. Definitely not worrying about it anymore. Just didn't know if those were minor gripes, which are few and far between and they appear to be, or the Achilles heel of this shotgun. Seems like a solid platform. Going shooting Saturday I'll be back with a mini...
  20. C

Stumped....shell capacity?

As much as I've learned in my journey down the guns rabbit hole, there's always more to learn, like I did on this thread. Humility is critical in life. :) Always be willing to learn, if someone is willing to take their time and teach you with it.
Back