• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. JCinPA

Is this gap between barrel and mag tube normal?

I've been fiddling with my Mossberg 500, turning it into a dedicated HD shotgun, and I'm finally done with it. But when reattaching the 18.5" barrel I noticed this gap. It may have always been that way and I just never noticed, but it seems a bit too much. It racks and operates fine. Is this...
  2. JCinPA

Cannot install barrel nut lock washer, any tips?

At the range one day, I noticed the lockwasher that keeps the barrel bolt that screws into the magazine tube was backing off and I could not securely lock down the barrel. Someone with a needlenose pliers helped me remove it so the bolt no longer stays wtih the barrel when you unscrew it. It's...
  3. JCinPA

Well, I am an IDIOT! Lost the detent ball while replacing safety

You would think after all the shade tree gunsmithing I've done over the years, I would not have fallen for this. Plus, the NDZ safety came with just the safety or with the safety and another little metal slide thingy and detent ball, but did I get that? Just in case? Nope, had to save a couple...
  4. JCinPA

Simply awful performance from 930 with all the OR3GUN upgrades - HELP!

I am so disappointed! I was super excited after seeing the TFB TV test of the Mossberg 940, and all the videos of 930 owners after the OR3GUN mods and their perfectly functioning guns. I've installed the OR3GUN Multi use Marine Spacer Tube, and the Competition CSP/ASR set, and had hoped for...
  5. JCinPA

Question about Ghost Loading -- Why does it work?

I have never tried this, but I may this weekend. But I cannot for the life of me figure out why this works. If there is already a shell on the lifter when you fire the one in the chamber, why does the gun not try to feed another one, potentially jamming it up. I've seen enough videos on YouTube...
  6. JCinPA

Need LOP extender for 930 ...

So I have a unique problem. I got a 930 field and security combo some years ago, and turned it into, basically, a 940 using OR3GUN parts. I LOVE it as a HD shotty, and I like the length of pull. You can see it here...
  7. JCinPA

My Mossberg 500 HD shotgun build

I posted my 930 HD shotgun build in the 930 forum. Basically it's now a 940 Tactical with what I modified on it, see description here: https://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/my-home-defense-mossberg-930-shotgun.20110/#post-281924 Now, I've finished my Mossberg 500 build. I like...
  8. JCinPA

Mossberg 500 18.5" barrels back in stock

I know many folks have been looking for a security barrel for their M500 shotguns. I just got an email alert they are back in stock today (from Mossberg), 08/25.
  9. JCinPA

Is the Mossberg Boron Nitride gas piston worthwhile?

I have a plain 930 original piston, and I’d love to get the SBE Precision piston, but it seems they are scarce. Would you recommend an upgrade to the Mossberg coated part in the meantime? I know I’ll need the outer ring if/when I get the SBE, but just wondering if this upgrade is worth it now...
  10. JCinPA

Is dry lube required for gas shotguns?

This isn’t one of those “What’s the best lube?” questions, I got beyond that years ago. I decided I didn’t want to soak up dangerous or questionable chemicals through my skin, and I went to Ballistol for 100% of my firearms, and I’ve been a happy camper ever since. It may not be the best, but...
  11. JCinPA

WTS: Dress up your Mav 88! Mossberg 500 field barrel/stock/forend/chokes

Do you have a Maverick 88 security gun you've replaced and wonder what to do with the Mav? Turn it into a field gun! Mossberg 500 stock, 28" vent-rib barrel with mid-brass-bead and Improved Cylinder Accuchoke installed, Modified and Full chokes and wrench included. Forend with action bars...
  12. JCinPA

OR3GUN recoil system and Federal LE-127 00-Buck

I installed the OR3GUN CSP and ASR (hole position #3) for about a 5% reduction in recoil spring rate, and the gun shoots both trap rounds and Federal LE-132 Low Recoil 00-Buck flawlessly now. I don't need to make adjustments between rounds, because apparently, LE-132 did not cycle with 100%...
  13. JCinPA

My Home defense Mossberg 930 Shotgun

Executive Summary: My standard 930 Field & Security Combo has been modified with - XS Big Dot Tritium front shotgun sight - OR3GUN CSP & ASR combo - OR3GUN MST, multi-purpose, Teflon coated - OR3GUN Competition (blue) magazine tube follower (-5% SR) - Military style simple sling -...
  14. JCinPA

For PA folks, 2A rally in Harrisburg, September 29, 2020

I hope there are no rules against linking to other forums, but I want to put the link so you can check for updates, if there are any. It is not a Mossberg or even a weapons forum it is the forum for the PA Firearms Onwers Association. I'm going to this thing, hope to see some of you there...
  15. JCinPA

Also looking for a 500 18.5" security barrel

They are still pretty much pure unobtainium at this point, but thought I'd ask. If you have one you'd like to unload, or see one in stock somewhere, please let me know!
  16. JCinPA

Rebluing security shotgun barrel - anyone have tips?

I'll begin a YouTube marathon, and be thoroughly confused in short order, and I'll probably make it harder than it needs to be, but ... any and all advice/tips welcome! Anyway, I found out vinegar removes bluing. Had a small rust spot on the underside of the 930 security barrel I just...
  17. JCinPA

Anyone polish their shotgun chamber? What method did you use

The most foolproof seems to be using a flex-hone. No question it will do a foolproof and excellent job, and with a longer one, you can polish the entire barrel--although I don't know why one would need to do that unless the barrel was pitted or rusty. Pro: Foolproof, perfect for the job Con: A...
  18. JCinPA

Is Ghost Loading (lifter loading) reliable and why?

Not sure what forum to post this in, but figured this one would have the most technical experts viewing it. Having just seen a link to the Marine Corps TM for the M1014 shotgun, and seeing they consider "Carrier Loading" reliable enough to describe it as a recommended combat condition for the M4...
  19. JCinPA

YouTube animation of Mossberg 500 Operation

Forgive me if this has been posted before, I'm new here. I would not be surprised if it has been. I found this very interesting, however, and thought I'd post it just in case it has not been put up here before. Cheers, John
  20. JCinPA

Noob 930 field/security combo guy ... looking for advice

Wow! so much information here! I've spent a couple of days reading this forum, and have a couple of questions if you wouldn't mind--I'm sure it's in here somewhere. It is just so voluminous. Thanks in advance. And sorry for the length of this screed--I figure it will help you answer if you...
Back