• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. DocNugent

Hunter <=> Tactical parts swapping

What I really want is the 16" barrel, but Tacticals are sold out and Hunters are available, so - I'm wondering - could a 16" Tactical barrel (if they become available separately) be installed by the user in a Hunter? I realize I could have the Hunter barrel shortened and threaded, and I will...
  2. DocNugent

Black Dog 22LR Conversion Magazines

Since this post is in the MMR section, is it safe for me to presume the Ciener conversion kit (http://www.22lrconversions.com/) will work with the MMR? I'm trying to find a MMR Tactical but may have to satisfy my itch with a MMR Hunter . . . .
  3. DocNugent

18.5 or 20" help me decide

Davidson's has a bunch of the 27715 model and they ship to local FFLs: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Default.aspx?item=27715 Save one for me!
  4. DocNugent

Common feeding problem?

See the shooting between 16:00 and 17:45 - is this a common problem? www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SpebSU7eYg If not, is it more likely a magazine issue or operator error?
  5. DocNugent

DocNugent's Notachainsaw

The Chainsaw weed-eater handle won't fit upside down because its picatinny notches are on the inside (top of the bottom part), and there's no slide-mounted picatinny rail above the barrel.
  6. DocNugent

DocNugent's Notachainsaw

Okay, Notachainsaw started life as a 500 Chainsaw, and we weren't unhappy with it, but our friendly Range Safety Officer encouraged us to at least try firing it with a more conventional (aim down the barrel at eye level) stance versus the waist-high stance the weed-eater handle enforces. So, I...
  7. DocNugent

Recoil of 00 Buck (LE) vs 7.5 birdshot

Sounds like the IDPA PowerFactor formula (PF = bul.wt. x muz.vel.). The particulars of the two shells I fired were: Rem. Law Enforcement Reduced Recoil 00: 1.0 oz @ 1200 f/s = "PF" of 1200 Rem. Gun Club Target Load 7.5: 1.125 oz @ 1145 f/s = "PF' of 1288 In other words, not much difference...
  8. DocNugent

New Chainsaw owner

I just used electrical tape around both ends of the pressure switch (on the bottom of the weed eater handle) and looped the cord underneath the slide to the right side rail (make sure it won't get caught during chambering). Don't forget Loctite on the light's mounting screw though, or you may...
  9. DocNugent

New Chainsaw owner

Welcome, fellow Chainsaw fan! (You're the only other owner I've heard from.) The Missus and I are both in our mid-60s, and we're recoil-avoidant (even before we first fired our Chainsaw, I replaced the stock pistol grip with a Knoxx recoil-reducing Breacher's pistol grip). We've only tried a...
  10. DocNugent

The Missus tames the Chainsaw

Thanks to a local NRA Instructor, our Chainsaw got to belch fire in the suburbs of Seattle last week during a two-hour tutoring session that went from the very basics (reminding us about the slide catch lever) to the "advanced" techniques (firing while moving sideways). After we put twenty-five...
  11. DocNugent

Tell Us About Your SCREEN NAME and AVATAR...

My avatar . . . I just threw it together for this site. If it needs explanation . . . . :roll: . . . here's a hint: I own one. My screen name is what some people have called me since about 1990. Reasons (all true) include: - My initials are "M D" and my last name is Nugent. - I earned a...
  12. DocNugent

Recoil of 00 Buck (LE) vs 7.5 birdshot

I couldn't feel any difference in recoil between 00 Buck (law enforcement low-recoil Remingtons and Federals) and 7.5 birdshot (Remingtons) when we fired our Chainsaw at the range. Both gave a smooth but firm "push" rather than the sharp "jab" of rifles I've shot (e.g., the M-14 forty-some...
  13. DocNugent

The Affordable Arms Act

A progressive FFL I've corresponded with asked on our local gun forum, "Can you guys explain why there is so much opposition in the US to universal healthcare coverage? . . ." Here's my answer: - - The Affordable Arms Act (an analogy) - - 1) We start with the Second Amendment to the...
  14. DocNugent

Holsters, We have them! ***Photo Thread***

No (pistol-grip, 18.5" barrel) shotgun holsters?! (. . . or did I miss 'em . . . )
  15. DocNugent

Members of Mossberg Owners, Post Pics of Your Self!

Myself and The Missus in 2010.
  16. DocNugent

Pistol grip only shotgun

I installed a Knoxx pistol grip (http://www.blackhawk.com/product/BreachersGrip-Shotgun-Stock,1154,165.htm) on our Chainsaw before we fired it the first time, so I can't compare it to the stock Mossberg pistol grip, but I can testify to not having any pain after firing 30 rounds of low-recoil 00...
  17. DocNugent

Receiver-mount vs forend-mount - home defense LED

Hadn't thought about that - good point! Cool! I'd considered grinding off most of the slots (leaving only enough on the front for the LED mount), but hadn't thought about filling them in. Plus, these would be removable if someone wanted to go back to stock. Worth a try, anyhow for $7.47...
  18. DocNugent

Receiver-mount vs forend-mount - home defense LED

I'm considering swapping out our Chainsaw's forend (3 rails plus the weed-eater handle) for one from a Cruiser (grip strap, but no rails). If I do that, I'll need to add a short rail somewhere for our LED light. I realize I could just remove the handle and keep the light there, but the rail...
  19. DocNugent

Mossberg Introduces ZMB Series of Guns

I took The Missus to our LGS to see a Breacher (friends have Persuaders and Cruisers), but they also had a Chainsaw. When she held both, she felt she had better muzzle control with the Chainsaw and it put the recoil closer to her center of mass (i.e., lower). I'm the kind of guy who, when The...
  20. DocNugent

New owner in Seattle area

The Missus and I got our (pre-ZMB) Mossberg 500 Chainsaw for Christmas, but we only fired it for the first time yesterday due to range restrictions against pistol-grip shotguns, shooting from the waist, etc. I had already installed a Knoxx recoil-reducing pistol grip, a Blackhawk! single-point...
Back