• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. O

Coyote Hunting

Re: Who here hunts coyote? I've been hunting coyotes for 50+ years throughout the mid-west & mid-south. It is my favorite hunting sport for more reason than I can list here. If a person can become really good at hunting coyotes, all other game seems a lot easier. Coyotes are extremely smart...
  2. O

Mossberg 817 Bolt Action Accessories...

ATI makes a universal cheek rest that mounts with 2 screws. It's black plastic and sells for around $10 on most of the online firearm supply sights. It really improves the cheek weld on an 817.
  3. O

Muzzle Brakes; Field Reports Needed

Ultimate, Thanks for the info. It's always appreciated.
  4. O

New 4x4 Cartridge Offerings:

For 2011 Mossberg has added a few extra chamberings for the 4x4 line of rifles. They are all for the short action model and like all other 4x4's they come with fluted barrels and removable muzzle brakes w/thread protectors provided in standard matte black or marine coat. They have retained all...
  5. O

This is a post script to my last entry; I always believed that my accuracy problem with muzzle brakes on my 243/06 improved was the result of a massive negative shift in barrel harmonics and I still, for the most part, believe this to be true. However, I did some extra research last night on...
  6. O

Things I really want from Mossberg

I wish that Mossberg would produce an ATR carbine chambered for the 7.62x39 Russian. An 18.5" barrel would be just about right. This would make a great deer & wild hog piece and be easy to handle in tight and brushy 'deer woods. I owned a CZ set up like this but 'in a very stupid moment' I...
  7. O

I own 3 4x4's of the older style (pre-muzzle brake and fluting) and am planning on ordering more 4x4's in the near future. I was wondering if any of you have done any accuracy testing of your 4x4s w/muzzle brake vs. 4x4 w/muzzle brake removed to see if there was any difference in performance...
  8. O

RELOADING SHOTSHELLS LEE LOAD-All SHOTGUN CARTRIDGE

The hobby of reloading shot shells is very inexpensive to get in to, compared to reloading metallic cartridges, and any investment made will come back to you very quickly in the form of savings. A Lee Load All shot shell reloader is very inexpensive and work great, last forever and pretty much...
  9. O

I finally bought a Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action 30-06

For a sling, I like Super Sling (that's the name) slings because they are so fast and easy to adjust. You can set them up for a shoulder mount, back mount or snug them up for a field carry by just sliding the adjustment coupler. They're not the cheapest sling out there (around 20-25 $'s) but...
  10. O

Hog Hunting

Is your 590 cylinder bore? If it is stop at Wally World and grab a few boxes of Remington Sluggers (rifled slugs). They work great on hogs here in NW Arkansas and they're cheap. DRT (dead right there) performance on hogs 'as long as I do my part'. Using my 500 with a red dot sight, the 500...
  11. O

Things I really want from Mossberg

I would like to see them chamber the 5mm Remington in their 817 platform. That would give a guy a modern and affordable rimfire rifle with all of the best attributes of the 17HMR and 22WMR. I know that I would buy one and I think a lot of other people would too, now that 5mm ammo is available...
  12. O

What Is Your Favorite Mossberg?

Synthetic stocked, Marine Coated 4x4's! They're tough, accurate and can handle anything that Mother Nature throws at them.
  13. O

How often do you clean your firearm after use?

I detail all of my firearms at least annually, some more often subject to use. I generally clean the bore after each outing. On some of my paper punchers I clean the bore every 15-20 rounds. I clean my auto hand guns whenever they start to act up. With most of the modern propellants that we...
  14. O

What ear protection do you use?

Huh? Whud ya say? I don't think that brand or style means much when it come to this subject. The important thing is to use some sort of ear protection. I never seemed to have my muffs with when I needed them so I bought a box of throw away foam ear plugs at an auto supply store. I threw...
  15. O

What is the best scope for a rifle?

Sign up for the free newsletters from SWFA, Optics Planet, Sportsman's Guide, Cabelas, etc. I've bought many great scopes at blowout prices that are otherwise un-advertised except for their E-mail newsletters. Whenever these big outfits get overstocked, etc. and need to move some inventory...
  16. O

3 Gun Nation

Try the Outdoor Channel web site or the vs. channel website.
  17. O

Reloading: Centerfire Rifle

Superformance powder is designed for a select group of centerfire rifle cartridges and is not applicable to reloading shot shells. All of the powders used by shot shell manufacturers are available to the public so you can easily duplicate the performance of factory fodder. Winchester will even...
  18. O

Reloading: Centerfire Rifle

Hodgdon Powder has decided to release their SUPERFORMANCE Powder to the public. This is great news because we reloaders will now be able to duplicate the performance of Hornady's Superformance ammunition. That stuff is GOOD! Since this powder was developed it has been a Hornady exclusive to...
  19. O

Which round to get Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action in?

It all depends on what you are going to use the piece for. I own a 4x4 in 25.06, 300WSM and 338 Win Mag and love them all. For 2011 Mossberg has added 22-250 Rem, 243 Win, 7mm-08 Rem and 308 Win to their 4x4 line up and kept all three of the big Winchester Short Mags so there is a much larger...
  20. O

Mounting Harris Bipod To Mossberg 4x4 Bolt Action

I installed a conventional swivel stud on my synthetic 4x4 just to mount a Harris. It sit about 2 1/2" behind the molded stud. You have to put a wood insert in the stock so the screw has something to bite into and the wood spreads the stress over a larger area. This stops any wear problems...
Back