• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. blacksmith

Mossberg Field Manual

I don't know if I'll ever finish this, so here is the prototype. https://www.dropbox.com/s/y4vre7razijg0z0/PROTOpdf.pdf?dl=0 And heres a bunch of disorganized data. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6b3rv9jwf9z5per/AABXZ6wpZei-dTEbJlnSGuOxa?dl=0
  2. blacksmith

Should I prioritize fitting my Shockwave with an aftermarket safety?

The new safeties are pretty strong, it was the old ones that tended to break.
  3. blacksmith

Lighter barrel for 590a1?

Yep, and done a lot of other stuff too :crazy: Now, where did I put The Chart of Weights and Measures... Your 18.5 A1 weighs about 105 ounce empty, 113 full. Model 50778 weights 101 and 111 full.
  4. blacksmith

Will the stocks for an 835 and 500/590 interchange?

500 / 590 / 835 / 535 and 20GA all use the same stock.
  5. blacksmith

Remove front sight

John is correct; these parts can be removed but not easily
  6. blacksmith

Are all 590s drilled tapped?

Mossberg started tapping receivers in the 1970s. These are rare, and use a smaller tap than today. Not all 590s are tapped and the early ones only had three (3) holes for the ghost ring sight. By 'about' 1997 everything was standardized to the four taps that we have today. Except the 88s.
  7. blacksmith

Tuning the 590A1 Trigger

The standard Mossberg trigger is polymer plastic. The A1 trigger is aluminum.
  8. blacksmith

500 not cycling right-need advice

The hook of of the shell stop may need to be filed slightly. But I'm guessing the interrupter. The interrupter is 'supposed' to slip behind the rim of the shell. Nice and neat, without contacting the shell. Sometimes the hook on the interrupter digs into the base of the shell. It can either...
  9. blacksmith

500ATP8 Time Capsule

Very cool. What year was it made?
  10. blacksmith

Mossberg 505 20 gauge vs. Maverick 88 20 gauge

The Models 97s were made in both solid frame and takedown models. Even the takedown models are significantly more difficult to service than a Mossberg. This is the case for most shotguns made in the early 20th century. When the Remington 870 came out in 1950 it was the easiest weapon to service...
  11. blacksmith

Flares, Fireworks and Other Pyrotechnics

In honor of a our nations independence we'll go over various pyrotechnic devices. The main uses for these are signaling, illumination and fire starting. Flashlight. While not a pyro device the flashlight is the best illumination/signaling device available. A light with High/Low/Strobe function...
  12. blacksmith

The Other Pump Shotgun: The Mossberg 3000

Yes, the model 1000 was the semi-auto gun. The original S&W shotgun was the 916. These were made in house by S&W based on an old Noble design. Real junk by all accounts, made from 1972-79. The Howa 3000 was imported by S&W from 1980-84, I think Mossberg was 85-86. Or not.
  13. blacksmith

The Other Pump Shotgun: The Mossberg 3000

These were made by Howa in Japan. Most were imported by S&W but some were imported by Mossberg as well. These are clones of the Remington 870 although most parts do not interchange. In fact, the flexi-tab system to correct 870 jamming problems were developed for these guns and later adopted by...
  14. blacksmith

Mossberg Serial Number Data Base

We're noticing more auctions and ads that state the year of the Mossberg for sale. Before this project we never saw anyone state the age of the gun. So it looks like this data is getting around ;)
  15. blacksmith

Problem with capacity Mossberg 500

Glad it was a simple fix without replacing parts. The factory uses a wood rod to limit capacity for two (2) rounds, the aluminum tube must have been added later.
  16. blacksmith

Mossberg 505 20 gauge vs. Maverick 88 20 gauge

Yes it is. Mossbergs were the first true "take-down" shotgun which makes them quite modular.
  17. blacksmith

Using Paraffin wax on 500 action?

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. We're not big fans of dry lubes but of course you're welcome to try them out and see how they work for you. We've never had problems with debris sticking to oil, including one that got left out in a sandstorm with the action open :oops: We have used silicone...
  18. blacksmith

590a1 Trigger Assembly vs 500 Trigger Assembly question

The plastic trigger is only the housing; all other parts are steel. The A1 trigger uses a detent to hold the trigger pin instead of a flimsy leaf spring (which is usually good enuf). The A1 trigger was not beefed up; the plastic trigger was. So there may not be much difference in strength...
  19. blacksmith

Army Aviation with grandson

Very cool. Learned something new. Didnt know the Comanche was on display.
Back