• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Search results

1. B

Best finish that is less $

I have a Maverick 88 and will be using it for deer hunting this year, my camo rifle had to be sold to pay some bills and fix the car. I have searched but decided to ask those that have done it, what is the best finish for the money to put on a shotgun? I can't afford a custom job so I will be...
  2. B

88 vs 590 a1 tactical?

My local shop and I was on the phone yesterday, they said that they had some shotgun deals and knowing I like shotguns decided to let me know. They have an 88 with 20 inch barrel, 18.5 inch barrel or 28 inch barrel all are old stock. Choice on the 88's were $220 otd, they also have a 590 a1...
  3. B

swivel stud tightness?

I just got my second Maverick 88 security, it cam with swivel studs installed but not lined up. I got the stock easy but the one on the mag tube is not as much. I couldn't get the short one to fit straight even with a thin washer so I used the next size length up with a thin nut and washer. Now...
  4. B

Questions on new Maverick 88's??

I am gonna get another Maveriick 88 security 18.5 inch barrel, I have saved enough for even a 590 but I decided on another 88 and more ammo. I went to my local store and saw a few 88's that however leave me with a few question as all 4 were new but different and with a few same flaws. Two had...
  5. B

Mav. 88 shootin high?

I recently bought my second Maverick 88 18.5 inch barrel defense shotgun. My eyes far away are as sharp as an eagles but up close i need glasses or something bright to aim. I put a Hi Viz snap on tactical sight on my gun, i like the tactical model as it has metal inside the plastic. When i fired...
  6. B

Maverick 88 stock loose?

I just bought a new Maverick 88 security, took it out and fired about 20 rounds of slugs and buckshot and it shot and functioned great. However after cleaning and tightening the barrel nut back on, I noticed the stock moved slightly. This is a brand new gun and the stock is loose, could this be...
  7. B

new 88 that's different

I bought a new 88 home defense 18.5 inch barrel about 6 months ago and it has a shiny bolt, blotchy blueing on barrel but still good and a not shinny but not dull stock and forend. Today I went and bought another as an extra at home. I went to pick it up and it has a beautiful dark blue barrel...
  8. B

dry firing a Maverick 88 home defense gun?

I recently bought a Maverick 88 home defense 18.5 inch barrel shotgun. I put a Hi Viz Tactical snap on front sight on it and went shooting in my back yard. The gun fired and cycled everytime but the trigger pull was stout. I don't have a gauge but it has to be close to 10 pounds or more, it was...
  9. B

which sight?

I recently bought a new 88 security model with 18" barrel, I am wanting to change the front sight. I don't have any special tools to do anything fancy. I have narrowed my sights down to 4 models. The Mossberg front sight with white bead, Hi Viz Spark 2, Hi Viz Spark 3, and the Hi Viz tactical...
  10. B

should I do it?

I know this is a Mossberg site, I thought I would still ask. I went looking for a 22lr rifle about a month ago and wanted a bolt action, with quality dropping at times I will only buy in person and I went looking at my local shops. I didn't want to wait as things seem to pop up and take my...
  11. B

what to do??

I have been looking for a short barrel for my 88 but the prices have went crazy the last few months with barrels selling for as much as a gun would cost. So my question is this, if you have an 88 and wanted a short barrel shotgun, what would you do? Buy another 88 and cut the barrel down as new...
  12. B

looking for a 18.5 barrel for 500 or 88

I am looking for a short barrel for my Maverick 88 which also takes mossberg 500 barrels, they have got a lot more expensive online on Ebay and I am gonna try and find one somewhere else. A few months ago they were just $89 with free shipping and now they are going close to $200 for just the...
  13. B

best place to find barrel?

I am wanting to get a shorter barrel for my 88 to use deer and rabbit hunting. my long barrel shoots slugs great but is long and the extra weight when rabbit hunting weighs on me after several hours. I tried to trade my factory barrel with mod, ic, and turkey choke for a short barrel at a local...
  14. B

recoil pad deteriorated

I have a maverick 88, it has been a very good gun. however i noticed today that the recoil pad has deteriorated and the rubber is rubbing off on it. I was wondering what is the cheapest fix for this? Is a new pad or another stock?, the reason I ask about another stock is i called locally and...
  15. B

parts?

I am thinking of getting a 22lr rifle and the plinkster is on the list. I have used Mossberg service on my Maverick and got several extra parts. I wonder about the plinkster because its imported, I like having extra parts I can change myself in case, so not to have to wait for service when or if...
  16. B

front swivel stud?

how can i get the front swivel stud to line up straight with the gun so my sling will be straight? i have the short and long studs, i have several plastic spacers but i still having trouble. thanks
  17. B

bad luck on new gun

i have been having trouble with my maverick 88, but mossberg has been A+ on helping me fix it. so with their great service i decided to get another maverick 88 today so my wife and i could shoot together. i bought it at walmart still in box as i don't like getting display models, i checked it...
  18. B

what type lube??

i have torn down my maverick 88, to fix the elevator catching on the cartridge interceptor. i think i have it fixed, i will be reinstalling everything tomorrow. do i use grease and oil inside?, just oil or grease? if so which one and where? i have hi temp red grease, rem oil, and hoppes gun oil...
  19. B

found problem with new 88

i posted a while back about my maverick 88 being real stiff and working the action plus cleaning helped. i believe now that working the action was what got it better but not fix it. i was checking closely and found out as the elevator went down the outer arm would hang at the top of the...
  20. B

problem or just normal?

i got a new maverick 88 field 28" barrel, i loaded it up and when i tried to unload i noticed the action lock lever wasn't down as much as it should have been and i almost didn't get the action open. it finally opened but the elevator wouldn't go all the way down unless i came back on the...
Back