• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Buck Reviewed

Thank you so much for going out and doing this review! It was very informative.

Hey thanks Fellas! I enjoy doing it, just frustrated over trying to get all my vid together.

I'd def say the Winchester is at the bottom. The wad is a chunk of cardboard and the "cup" looks more like a saucer. The pattern, and one day I'll have it posted for you to see, of the Federal at 50 yards was tighter than the Winchesters pattern at 25 yards. The Federal 50 yard pattern was very similar to Hornadys 25 yard pattern. I liked the Remingtoin 00, but with only 4 pellets, the range would have to be close, like 10 yards or less, which I think is fine for a "designated HD" load. If it had more pellets, I think the pattern would have been only slightly wider than the Hornady at the same range. Another note, even though the Winchester load was a "full power" shell, it was the only in which the shot cup didnt penetrate the target. #1 reason; the shot cup is almost non-existent allowing the shot to begin spreading out as soon as it leaves the muzzle. The shot cup isnt following up the shot at all, it is haphazardly being broadcast towards the target.

But by far, the clear winner of the day was the Federal. 50 yard patterns were consistenly tighter than others at 25 yards. #1 reason; (I have it on video somewhere) the shot cup and wad are one piece and the cup is actually cup like and the shot fits into it rather than resting on top of it. This results in the shot staying together much longer and well beyond the end of the muzzle. This is evidenced by the 5 yard test results. The shot cup/wad which is the FliteControl technology, passed through drywall and plywood together with the shot.

Though the result at 5 yards is the same with the Hornady, the Hornady pattern began falling apart at 25 yards. While still better than Winchester, there were enogh strays outside the pattern to make me less than impressed, especially compared side x side to Federals 4 1/4" x 3 1/4" pattern at the same range.

It all comes back to Federal. There are no comprimises being made by purchasing Federal Tactical or Federal Premium ammunition. And honestly, I shop around and can find the low recoil FliteControl loads for less than the WalMart price on Win Super X.

Note:
I get nothing from Federal by telling you how much I like their stuff. I tested this stuff completely independant of support from any vendor/supplier/maker just because I wanted to.

Brad.

Your review caused this thinking on my part:
1) I'm sticking with Federal for 00 Buck - and probably the slugs and low-recoil too.
2) In the house with a max of 15 yds in any direction, I'd better aim not just spray - patterns you indicate are tighter than I imagined - and I'm happy I stuck with the adjustable stock not a pistol grip.
3) For deer hunting Fed flite-control might work since my stand to deer range is 25 yds and under - I was thinking slugs but may not need them
4) Have a box of Win and Rem 00 Buck I'll use for target practice :D

Thanks again, and as soon as I can get off a few rounds, I'll get some pix up too.

Good deal man, I'm lookin forward to seeing what kind of results you find!

I think the Federal 00 would be fine at 25 yards, there is still a nice concentration of pellets in one place. You hit on something key. Its buckshot, but it still needs to be aimed. Even at 5 yards, I didnt put my shots dead center of those targets, and with 2 out of 4 loads there is a singular hole about an inch in diameter.

Also, the slugs. I took a couple shots at 50 yards for the heck of it with the Winchester Ranger 1 oz low recoil and the Federal TruBall 1 oz low recoil. First shot with each at 50 yards were on target, or at least where I expected with no correction.

So check em out, I think you'll like them! I have found somewhere, the Federal Premium VitalShok 00 9 pellet FliteControl low recoil (PD132) for $3.95 a box I think. AmmunitionToGo has them for $3 something-ish in the Tac LE stuff.

I can find those links if anyone needs them.

10 yard results are uploaded! I dont have time at the moment to say much about it other than I'm sorry you have to listen to my narrative, and a narrator I am not. "uhhh, um, uhhh..." I did try to jazz it up a bit, and sampled in some music. Oh and turn the sound up when I get to the targets. The voice audio runs a little quiet.

Here ya go, let me know if there are any questions!!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjPa7u8TjGY[/youtube]

Alright, I'm able to get back to this now. We went shootin and took TWO! cameras with us. The first went out, so we switched to our back up, which would record audio. I didnt realize it till we got home. Thats why you get my riveting commentary! :D

Its far from exciting, and you have my apologies. However, there are still guns being fired and 00 buckshot being patterned.

Thanks for taking the time to review the various 00 buck shots! The federal is really impressive on how tight it groups.

Wait till you see the 25 yard results! The pattern with the Federal is tighter (or at least as tight) than the Hornady at 10 yards!

I'm working on that video off and on today and trying to cut in down a little better so there isnt as much hemm-hawin and slow parts as there was on the 10 yard. Tryin to keep in movin at a better pace.

Nice to see! I just got some Federal Tactical 00 Buck and Tactical Slug the other week for my shotgun! I replaced the Hornady TAP I had. I have a LE store here that sells Federal and good prices!

Good deal! I hope to finish editing the 25 yard video tonight!

25 yard test results completed!!! I cut the video more than i have on the others and kep my narrative lean. Not so much talking, just to the point and finished! For some reason there is a gap in the music going from my daughter to me, but while editing it was seamless... so annoying.

I hope you enjoy seeing it! The Federal is still awesome!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogs7STWo_tA[/youtube]

Ok, that is crazy tight with that federal ! Interesting it didn’t penetrate. I like the hornaday pattern. Did you shoot a bunch of the hornaday? Just wondering if that stray was kind of a freak thing.

So if the federal was shot in to some gelatin or flesh then it would spread allot more after penetration?
Just trying to figure out the federal vs. a slug inside the 25 yards….I’m guessing the shot spreads out after penetration of flesh and that the slug would be overpenetating for what you are testing for HD?
If we were talking outdoors, combat type setting would you choose the federal over a slug?

oli700 said:
Ok, that is crazy tight with that federal ! Interesting it didn’t penetrate. I like the hornaday pattern. Did you shoot a bunch of the hornaday? Just wondering if that stray was kind of a freak thing.

I dont believe the stray is a freak thing. I did shoot a decent bit and saw the same sort thing after each shot. I could see in advance an emerging pattern, and I dont mean the pattern of the shot. While the Hornady isnt unimpressive and would be my second choice for 00 buck, even at 10 yards I was counting individual pellets. Each increment in space between me and the target yield an expectedly larger pattern and by the time I did the 25 yards it was enough we were really looking to find all those pellets. Still decent coverage and reasonably uniform, not a bad load.

oli700 said:
So if the federal was shot in to some gelatin or flesh then it would spread allot more after penetration?
Just trying to figure out the federal vs. a slug inside the 25 yards….I’m guessing the shot spreads out after penetration of flesh and that the slug would be overpenetating for what you are testing for HD?

This is where there is somtimes debate. I have seen tests on gellatin, but something that can not be perceived is the result the human body has on shot and ordinance. There are studies that cover that topic. But tissue and bone will deform pellets and affect penetration and pattern, the shot wont continue to spread out and pass through the body cleanly usually, though it can happen. My primary concern with the tests I conducted was to measure pattern vs stray pellets and to emphasize knowing your firearm and load of choice. Secondary was penetration should a pellet not hit its intended target.

oli700 said:
If we were talking outdoors, combat type setting would you choose the federal over a slug?

Beyond 25 yards, I'd go for the slug. Not so much a concern over strays at that point if I'm in the woods, but the slug can be aimed better at that point and I would actually be concerned about not enough penetration beyond that on something like a coyote or deer. I'd be concerned about not making a clean and humane kill. My choice from some of the preliminary testing I'm doing would be for the Federal TruBall low recoil. I have used or begun testing on the TruBall low recoil, Federal Power Shok full power, Winchester Super X full power, and Winchester Ranger low recoil. So far, my favorites are the Winchester Ranger and the Federal TruBall, but leaning more towards the TruBall.

Hope you find this helpful oli!!! I appreciate you watchin and payin attention, Thanks!

hey thanks for the observations...have you trie the Centurion slugs ? another topic ?

Nope, cant say I have tried those. I'm easy to please, I find something that works well and at least meets if not exceeds my expectations, and I'm done lookin. BUT! for the sake of continued testing with the goal of increasing knowledge and understanding purely acadamia here, I will try the Centurion load down the road!

dont let the price fool you, these slugs are awesome.....the buffer stays on the slug in flight an they are dead accurate for me.1400fps somewhere between low recoil and full power

Ros~

Great job. You are definitely providing a great service to our shooting community. I (for one) would have no trouble doing the test; but where I would fall flat on my face is posting smooth video with audio and music and graphics.

Thank You, Sir~

Dave (nitesite)

lol Dave! Thanks!

I have no doubt you could do it! I add music n stuff cuz I dont figure anyone finds really finds my narrative too interesting! :lol:

I still need to get that short video of the 50 yard shot posted! Thanks again!

Brad.

Back