• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

00 Buck Testing

Mudinyeri

20g
"Philanthropist"
I managed to get to the range yesterday and did some testing on three brands of 00 Buck that I had on hand. Below are the results. Please pardon my shooting as these were, literally, the first nine rounds I put through this gun. In addition to figuring out the pattern of the rounds I was also figuring out the gun's POA/POI characteristics.

Conditions:
Temperature: 81F
Wind: 10-15 MPH
Humidity: 38%

Gun: Mossberg 500, 18.5" barrel, cylinder bore, bead sight

Brands Tested:

Rio Royal Buck
12 Ga.
2 3/4"
1345 FPS
9 Pellets

Federal Power Shok
12 Ga.
2 3/4"
1290 FPS
12 Pellets

Federal Premium Personal Defense with FliteControl
12 Ga.
2 3/4"
1145 FPS
9 Pellets

7 Yard Results

Federal Premium, FliteControl

20110507_FC07.jpg

Notes: The hole approximately 2" above and 1/2" to the left of the red dot is the pattern created at this range. The second hole, approximately 3" to the right and 3" above the red dot, is a hole created by the Power Shok's wad.

Federal Power Shok

20110507_PS07.jpg

Notes: While the entire pattern is a tad high (me getting used to my 'new' 500) the pattern is reasonable for 7 yards approximately 4" in diameter.

Rio Royal Buck

20110507_RB07.jpg

Notes: For a "cheap" round, the Royal Buck holds together pretty well at 7 yards producing a pattern perhaps even a bit better than the Power Shok about 3" in diameter.

10 Yard Results

20110507_FC10.jpg

Notes: Again, the FliteControl round produces essentially a single hole.

Federal Power Shok

20110507_PS10.jpg

Notes: While we still have a nice collection of pellets on or near the red dot, other pellets are starting to spread with one off the grid. This gives us a pattern diameter of approximately 5" with a definite tendency of the errant rounds to stray up and left.

Rio Royal Buck

20110507_RB10.jpg

Notes: With its 12 pellet load, the Royal Buck delivers a tight cluster of about six pellets at 10 yards but begins to spread the remainder of the pellets considerably. The spread literally covers the entire target with a definite downward pattern.

15 Yard Results

20110507_FC15.jpg

Notes: The collection of pellets in the upper, left-hand corner of the target is the primary point of impact. The five errant pellet holes were produced by the Federal Power Shock (target was below this one when I was shooting). So, you can see that the FliteControl still holds up very well at this distance.

Federal Power Shok

20110507_FC15.jpg

20110507_PS15.jpg

Notes: Still learning my 500, I managed to put most of the pellets from this shot on the target above (Federal Premium FliteControl) which is why I put that target in this section. You can see that I had at least part of three pellets on the Power Shok target while the remaining pellets were either off the paper or on the FliteControl target. This gives us a pattern approximately 6" in diameter.

Rio Royal Buck

20110507_PS15.jpg

20110507_RB15.jpg

Notes: Once again, I'm shooting high. The pattern from the Royal Buck leaves the Royal Buck target and creeps onto the Power Shok target. If you look at the two targets together, you'll see that we have pattern comprised of six pellets about 6" in diameter. It's possible that some of the pellets went with the wad which ended up in the lower, right-hand corner of the Power Shok target.

Nice work Toby, I always enjoy seeing these pattern tests from different barrel lengths and guns!

My preference is still for the FC Load!!! ;)

You gotta love the Federal FC ... absolutely great and predictable round. Next time at the range, I'll take it further than 10 yards (which produced a 1 inch spread). Of course, you won't get fancy pictures from me because I'm not very tech savy. :(

I just purchased 100 rounds of this ammo so I'm ready to start firing. :lol:

The federal flight control is nothing short of impressive. Thanks for sharing your results!

Back