• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

12g muzzle loader barrel kit

hey I am new to the site and paying on my first shotgun in many many years
I am getting the basic 12g moss 500 with 28" accu choke barrel and I am thinking for a second barrel getting the muzzle loader conversion kit and was wondering if anyone else had this and what they thought about it

Michigan here has a 2week dear season with an additional few days for muzzle loaders which is the main reason I want this

Howdy tazzy695.

I have to say in all the time I've spent on the site I don't remember anyone posting any first hand info about the muzzle loader conversions. That being said, we're glad to see you join up and would love to read your review if you decide to pick one up. Keep us posted...

I will keep you all posted on my review on it once i finaly get one just might be a while depending on funding

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

I've been looking at this barrel for a long time.

From what I have seen searching other forums is that it works OK but has some blowback into the receiver. Accuracy appears to be average and it is heavy.

You can find a decent inline black powder rifle for about the same price and it will have a removable breach plug (makes cleaning a lot easier), scope mounts, check rest stock etc.

I took a deer last year with a CVA Eclipse** I bought years ago for $70. It was the cheapest I could find at the time and after a while of playing with different loads its accurate as hell.

I'm not trying to deter you from trying one, I still would try it myself if the right deal came along.

**CVA had some issues with their guns a while back, if you look for used ones make sure you check it out good and do some research, I got lucky with mine as it fell just at the end of the range in which the issues were occurring. I didn't find out about the issues til years later.

I hear ya good luck finding that same CVA now for that price

I know direct through mossberg the barrel kit costs $113 or I could get it from Cabela's for $134

either way that is cheaper then $150 to $300 for a complete muzzle loader

well I went and picked up my shotgun today plan on using it to go hunting tomorrow for some small game we will see how it preforms

I didn't know there even was such a critter to convert to a muzzie. Don't much see the point of it actually. I have some antique and replica muzzle loaders (pistols and rifle) and a 12 gage blackpowder cartridge double barrel, and they are fun to shoot, but a pain to clean. If you want to shoot bp why not just get the real thing (flinter or percussion, not an in-line) instead of a conversion kit for a modern shotgun?

tazzy695 said:
well I will start off with a link to show you the muzzle loader kit

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting ... t104202180

and second off here in Michigan you get an extra 2 weeks to hunt deer with a muzzie and I cant afford to buy a separate gun for this purpose

I was suprized that they guys at the gun counter of gander mtn didn't know they made the conversion kit for this gun

Well, I can understand the cost aspect, and if it suits you go for it. :) There's a lot of folks around here hunt bp season as well as bow, etc.

Me, I just harvest one doe a year for the freezer. Could get more, but no need to and I don't hunt for trophies or sport.

well took my new mossy out hunting and got my first squirrel ever so happy eating it tonight also going to have to experiment with cooking methods but I am grilling this one

hopefully I will have a very suscessfull small-game season this year still need to get to a range to practice with slugs for dear season

Dang it, you planted that seed in my head and now I want to actually try one of those ML barrels. DOH!! :D

tazzy695 said:
I was suprized that they guys at the gun counter of gander mtn didn't know they made the conversion kit for this gun

Glad the new shotgun works out for you and is already putting food on the table. I'm not surprised at all. I've often thought "Are you an idiot?" is part of thier job application and interview process. Most of the Gndr Mtn gun counter folks I've encountered don't even seem like they want to be there half the time in addition to not being very firearm educated. This has been my experience at several locations I've visited.

Theres only one guy worth a damn here at the San Antonio location I try to corner when I'm in there which isn't too often. They price everything out of the stratosphere usually.

Black powder is corrosive so I think I would probably just get a real muzzle loader instead of a conversion kit.

clarke187 said:
Black powder is corrosive so I think I would probably just get a real muzzle loader instead of a conversion kit.

Real black powder is but many of the substitutes are not. They will attract moisture though.

jgwills said:
tazzy695 said:

Glad the new shotgun works out for you and is already putting food on the table. I'm not surprised at all. I've often thought "Are you an idiot?" is part of thier job application and interview process. Most of the Gndr Mtn gun counter folks I've encountered don't even seem like they want to be there half the time in addition to not being very firearm educated. This has been my experience at several locations I've visited.

Theres only one guy worth a damn here at the San Antonio location I try to corner when I'm in there which isn't too often. They price everything out of the stratosphere usually.

well the only reason I got my mossy from gander was because they do layaway and walmart doesn't they also price match so I used the best price I could find which was walmart

as far as worrying about black powder being corrosive I am not too worried about it as the bp barrel would basically make my shotgun same as being a true full ml gun

also the fact that I am very meticulous about cleaning my weapons would counteract the corrosive properties as I would not be leaving the powder loaded in the barrel for more then the day it was being used

Back