• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
The 3" officer's models are definitely a bit more snappy than the full-sized models. There is less frame at the grip to hold on to, making them a little harder to control as well. Even still, they're a pleasure to shoot. Keep in mind that they do have a reputation for being particularly picky with ammo and there is a widespread belief out there that the 3" models are unreliable because of the shorter action. All that said, my Kimber Ultra CDP II has been 100% from the start.

The "commander" length 1911s are a great compromise, offering a full sized frame with a 4" or 4.25" barrel depending on the manufacturer. (RIA uses 4") In my personal opinion and experience, for what it's worth, commander length 1911s are exceptionally well balanced and perfect for both range work and concealed carry.

Thanks for the helpful response (As you always provide). I went and held a few of the RIA 1911's yesterday and I really liked the feel of the tactical model and of the commander model. Both of my pistols are pretty small (S&W 642, Sub-compact XD), so I am kind of feeling the urge to get the full 5 inch barrel. I will probably have to shoot them and see how much the shorter sight radius is noticeable on a 4" barrel.

In my opinion, nothing points more naturally than a full size 1911 Goverment Model. If you purchase one of those, you will feel like you are carrying a howitzer compared to your XD and 642. With a quality holster setup and thoughtful clothing choices, depending on your stature, concealing it should not be too difficult though.
A beavertail definately makes shooting a 1911 more comfortable. I always got hammer bite from my Para P12 until I had a beavertail put on it. Most production 1911's come standard with them now I believe.

Glad to help honkey,

I really don't notice much difference printing on paper between my full-sized and my "commander" length 1911, but I actually feel like I shoot better with the 4" barrel. The shorter barrel is just so well balanced that it's hard to miss. As far as the beavertail goes, I've got two "A1" models (no beavertail) and I've never had a hammer bite. It all depends on your hands, so put your mitts on as many as you can before you decide. If you can shoot them ahead of time, even better...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Glad to help honkey,

I really don't notice much difference printing on paper between my full-sized and my "commander" length 1911, but I actually feel like I shoot better with the 4" barrel. The shorter barrel is just so well balanced that it's hard to miss. As far as the beavertail goes, I've got two "A1" models (no beavertail) and I've never had a hammer bite. It all depends on your hands, so put your mitts on as many as you can before you decide. If you can shoot them ahead of time, even better...

I'll be able to shoot a few RIA's before I buy. I am kind of set on a Rock Island due to budget constraints, but I don't feel like I will be disappointed after looking at a few yesterday and reading reviews on them the past few days. I have ruled out the 3.5 inch barrel, but I will try to go in with an open mind when I compare the 5" and 4" models.

My new Citadel 1911...
1911.jpg

I like the sights on it better than the RIA's I was looking at. $475 OTD at the gun show today. I will post a range report of it later today. It was an impulse buy, so I'm hoping it is good!

Congrats honkey,

I have zero experience with Citadel. I'm looking forward to a full review after you've had a chance to heat her up a bit...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Congrats honkey,

I have zero experience with Citadel. I'm looking forward to a full review after you've had a chance to heat her up a bit...

Same here, I know little about them, but that sounds like a great deal!

honkey!

You did it, man! You got a full size 1911!

I'm really happy for you. We'll have to get together again and go shooting. I think I may be able to scrape a few rounds of ammo together for us. Maybe this time I might get lucky and actually hit a target.....

What an awesome day... Went to my first gun show, bought my first 1911, and then spent 3 hours at the range.
I put 100 rounds through my 1911 and I had one failure to feed (on round number 96), which i believe may have been a result of me limp wristing. The slide was about 3/4ths of the way forward. I did not do any true accuracy tests with it, but I did shoot clays from 25 yards away and it seemed like the 1911 is more accurate than what my abilities can fulfill. The trigger feels great. Very crisp. I liked the weight and balance of the gun and the sites are large and easy to pick up. I feel happy with my purchase.

Nitesite, I's love to get together again. I need to brew more beer so I can have something to bring you! I did collect 300 pieces of 9mm brass and 150 pieces of .45. :)

Forgot to mention the only negative I have... The magazines feel cheap. They work, but loading them, the springs felt like they were grinding as they compressed.

What brand mags does Citadel use?

I need to get in on your range day. I'm only a few hours away from you guys...

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
What brand mags does Citadel use?

I need to get in on your range day. I'm only a few hours away from you guys...

The magazine is Act-mag.

That would be awesome if you could join us!

Very nice 1911. Outward appearance is very nice. 100 rounds downrange and only 1 malf that you can maybe attribute to yourself is pretty darn good. I'd say you have a keeper so far. Congrats.

Thanks guys. I saw some holsters yesterday that I really liked, but I did not get. The ones I liked were very simple leather holsters that just wrapped around the trigger section, but they were outside the waistband. I asked if they had any that were the same style but IWB, and they had some nylon ones, but I thought they were too loose. Does anyone know where I can find a leather one like that?

Well, I know this isn't very impressive shooting by many of your standards, but this was my first target that I shot today. 8 rounds are from my 1911 at 20 yards and then the smaller holes are from my friend shooting my XD 9mm... As you can see, my first 3 shots were low, I made an adjustment and my next 5 shots were a pretty good group for me. Shots 4, 5, and 6 were consistent, but I was off, shot 7 was the bullseye and shot 8 was the on up above. I'm getting better, but still not as good as I want to be.

target.jpg

I am loving the feel of the gun. I'm definitely happy I got the full size. It feels so natural to shoot. My friend was also very impressed with it. It was his first time shooting a 1911. He wants to get one now when he turns 21 next month.

Back