• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Lookin good honkey!

Don't sell your self short there brother, that's damn fine shoot'n a 20yds by anybody's standards...

20 yards dude? Looks pretty good to me! :D

When you said youre "getting better, but still not where I (you) want to be", thats where it starts. If you want to, you will and the road there starts with practice and youre def off to a good start!

Dude... my groups are weak! :lol: My handgun is what I shoot the least, not to say I cant put rounds on target, but man, at ten yards I really have to focus to tighten my groups up. I think my best is like a 3" group with a single magazine... forget 20 yards. I cant see that far to know if I'm hitting the target, as least not with my .45. I should really look into the shoot-n-see or dirty bird targets... I have access to both.

I was just reading a bit more about 1911's and I saw some discussion of needing to replace springs every 500 rounds. I will get to 500 rounds quickly. I hope to shoot a lot more once I am done with classes next week. Is there an easy way to tell when springs need to be replaced, or is it just by counting how many rounds you've put through the gun?

I've got the itch to go out shooting right now, but exams are kicking my ass!

Hey Honkey! I know what you mean!!! Gotta get out and shoot here too!

As for springs, I'm shooting a 2002 model that I personally have put between 700 and 800 rounds through and I'm certain springs werent replaced before I owned it. Heck, I barely clean it!!! I've considered replacing the springs though with lighter after market springs, like a 16 lb instead of a 20 lb recoil spring for example. That may not be right the way I said it though...

"AC45ACP" on here owns a few custom guns, like the Ed Brown Special Forces carry. I spoke with him recently (within the last 2 or 3 mos) and he had replaced springs after ... I dunno, several thousand rounds, and liked the broke in springs better. He had talked about putting the old springs back in, dont know if he did or if he decided to go through the process of breakin in the new springs.

I'd say 500 rounds is just gettin the gun good and broke in! ;)

Most spring manufacturers will suggest replacing your springs after every 500 rounds. :lol:

I've put well over a thousand rounds through all my 1911s and the springs are runnin just fine.

That's good to hear, because once I get to shoot as much as I want, I may be able to put 500 rounds through in one session. Once classes are over and I have a week before summer classes begin, I hope to really get some quality time at the range, followed by some quality time brewing beer. :D

I usually put at least 500 rounds through my 1911s in the first range trip alone.

You'll be fine.

I may kinda have to sell my Springer.

I dont really wanna but I need some cash and Jenny is on my back.

If possible, I'd like to sell it to someone here and maybe be able to buy it back later?

Anyone interested?

Yesterday I took advantage of my 1911's "Platinum Service" from Remington. They give you a free checkup and complete cleaning during the first year. They send you a one day shipping label. I sent it out last night at 5PM and it has arrived at Remington today. I will keep you posted on the progress. They guarantee a 7 day turnaround. Has anybody used this service?

Sounds like a pretty good deal Joe! Especially them sending the label!

And!!! I dont have to sell my gun! Yay me!!! I got some stuff worked out! :D

It is ... I didnt wanna, but I woulda.

I know this topic isnt the place for it, but life happens and decisions have to be made. It would have been a disservice to my wife and children to not sell it if I didnt have another means.

But I do, and we're takin care of business! ;)

Great to hear brother!

Trust me, I'd sell every last one of my firearms for my family if I had to. Well I might have to hide at least one in the floor boards. :D

Jimmy, you and me both man! ;)

I was really bummed when I first thought I was gonna sell it, and almost angry... rather selfishly. Its the handgun I had wanted since I was 18 years old.

I had come to grips with it and was ready to let it go willingly and actually felt good about it. I wouldnt a been able to live with myself if I hadnt. Sounds terrible to even say I felt angry about sellin it... :oops:

Don't feel bad for that man.

It's a perfectly natural feeling when you're confronted with having to part with somehing you've worked so hard to get. Feelings are one thing, but the choices we make are what's important. You were prepared to make the right one and that's what counts...

Back