• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Re: HOLY CRAP! Anniversary Surprise!!!

That is awesome! Congratulations on your gift. She is definitely a keeper.

Congrats on the GREAT gift and on the Anniversary!

Re: 1911 Pictures!!

The mil-spec is a sweet lookin handgun and one of my all time favorites! I've got my eye on one and hope to get it down the road... So many firearms and not nearly enough $$$. C'est la vie.

I'm at the point where I need two of everything. My Wife says "what's hers is hers, what's mine is hers." She's got her own .45 auto (took her concealed permit class with it & was top shot of the class), but lays claim to my FAL, 590, Ar-15 and all the rest.
I got her a S&W 642 for our anniversary, April Fool's Day. We figured that was the most appropriate day to be married.

Springfield 1911-A1 Mil-Spec is on the list of firearms to get for me too.

EAINC said:
Never shot a 1911want to see what all the fuss is about haha

Its not high capacity like a 9, but it is a projectile nearly 1/2" in diameter and it doesnt recoil the way folks imagine. I like the large full frame and grip in comparisson to the sub compact and compact guns. A double stack magazine doesnt feel right to me either, and I really dislike not being able to wrap all my fingers around the grip. I have shot Ruger autos too with grip extensions on the mags and those werent as bad, though like I said, the double stack mag was still a pain to me.

Additionally, the design of the 1911 is 100 years old, remains nearly unchanged and has served with distinction in the Armed Forces. It was a favorite and many would like to see it return to service. I have known many vets who served in various theaters around the world and many tel stories of trading in the .38 revolvers for Colt 1911's. Even trading resources and wheelin and dealin with armorers to gain access.

Is this considered a 1911 :?: Llama 38 Super made around 1936 always shot good, been a few years though

IMG_0220.jpg

SHOOTER13's 1911a1's...

Here are a few of my favorite 1911a1's for your viewing pleasure...

COLT Gold Cup National Match

COLTGOLDCUP45ACPsmall-1.jpg

AUTO ORDNANCE PKZSE

AUTOORDWWII45ACPsmall-2.jpg

PARA ORDNANCE P12-45

PARAORDP12-45small-1.jpg

EAINC said:
allright guys youve done it i want a 1911,let the research begin.

This is a good place to start! Lots of knowledgable floks with all kinds of experience! Another spot to check out is 1911Enthusiast.com

There are many 1911s out there from basic no frills GI and mil-spec models from many different makers, then you have your higher end production models that can range from 7 and 8 hundred dollars to well over a grand, and then semi custom and custom guns that are going to set you back a good bit.

Rock Island Armory I'm told has come a long way and makes a good lookin 1911 GI for around $450. My preference for a GI would be Springfield Armory and a GI (which I plan to get soon!) starting at about $550. Then the Springers go up in price with more options. I know of one person who doesnt care for Kimber at all, but a gentleman at a gun show told me it was like a Cadillac, not a Chevy or Ford, and not a Benz either. There are also a few folks here who love their Kimbers. Colt. What else needs to be said here. Its a Colt. You can find government owned Colts out there, but youre gonna pay for it no matter what. There are many more as you have seen posted here. There are then the custom guns, like Ed Brown, Dan Wesson, Wilson Combat (which may be more along the lines of semi custom) to name just a few, and again many more.

So have fun and take your time. Ask lots of questions. A 1911 is (traditionally) a .45 ACP and not .45 LR or "long". The ACP is "auto cocking pistol", a Gov't model is a 5 inch barrel, and a 1911 is a single action gun with a tip up barrel, and a single stack magazine generally 7 round capacity. There is much more when you get into bushings, hammers, springs, triggers, and grips. Bobbed guns and beaver tails, adjustable triggers, match triggers, sights, dovetail and fixed, night sights and who knows what else. Its hard to figure out what is going to suit what you want. Also depends on whether or not you want something you can build on at your own pace.

So again, research and enjoy learning!

Just remenber that 1911s are very much like AR-15s. You can save a bit of money buying an entry level model, but you'll likely spend as much on upgrades as you did on the pistol when it's all said and done.

My humble suggestion? Find out what features you want, then find a production model that comes with those features. You'll usually end up coming out ahead. But then again, a custom build project is always fun... :D

Back