• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

Be warned, the lead spring assembly can be a bear to get reinstalled properly, if you go that far into it. It took me several tries to get mine in correctly.

Just talked to an Ed Brown rep. He said they can install the internals in the mainspring housing for me and I can leave my factory parts together that way if I need to send the gun to Kimber ever for warranty work, I can replace the factory part so as not to void the lifetime warranty.

I ordered the 21 LPI mainspring housing and magwell just like what I pictured in the previous post and having them install the internals. Then I just have to fit it. He said at most it would be removing just a little material from the pad on the inside face of the housing.

I didn't mention this here, but my 1911 had a slight feeding issue, and it was all due to some poor machine work on the frame's ramp. It lined up pretty well, but it wasn't well finished and had been parkerized right over tool marks in the ramp. Alignment with the throat was good already, but getting the round up the ramp to it was not 100% reliable.

Well it is now.

I clamped the frame down in the wood vise, and went after the ramp with a dremel and a 3/8" dia cylindrical stone, then polished it with #320 paper.

I also "lowered" the ramp a tad at the bottom. That is I relieved it toward the muzzle about 0.010" or less.

On the last outing I ran 40 American Eagles through it and it never misbehaved once. I am so happy with this "budget" 1911a1 that forgot completely about the cheap grips.

I was going to get fancy grips, but maybe I should get the combat-style stippled ones in tan so I can feel more tacticool. ;)

There's no shortage of really cool grips. Virtually every style is available in G10 composite but my favorites are still the rubbery overmolded grips, pachmayer wrap around grips, and Hogue. I've entertained the idea of stag grips too.

Then of course there's our very own Mr. RipJack who has made some very impressive examples. Some checkered and some slick.

There's no shortage of really cool grips. Virtually every style is available in G10 composite but my favorites are still the rubbery overmolded grips, pachmayer wrap around grips, and Hogue. I've entertained the idea of stag grips too.

Then of course there's our very own Mr. RipJack who has made some very impressive examples. Some checkered and some slick.

Brad,

Are those grip panels going to go thru hell and get worn down or chewed up?

Or, are they going to be carry grips with some range time thrown in?

Or a combo?

I didn't mention this here, but my 1911 had a slight feeding issue, and it was all due to some poor machine work on the frame's ramp. It lined up pretty well, but it wasn't well finished and had been parkerized right over tool marks in the ramp. Alignment with the throat was good already, but getting the round up the ramp to it was not 100% reliable.

Well it is now.

I clamped the frame down in the wood vise, and went after the ramp with a dremel and a 3/8" dia cylindrical stone, then polished it with #320 paper.

I also "lowered" the ramp a tad at the bottom. That is I relieved it toward the muzzle about 0.010" or less.

On the last outing I ran 40 American Eagles through it and it never misbehaved once. I am so happy with this "budget" 1911a1 that forgot completely about the cheap grips.

I was going to get fancy grips, but maybe I should get the combat-style stippled ones in tan so I can feel more tacticool. ;)

A Dremel and a 1911 just match up perfectly sometimes.

Brad,

Are those grip panels going to go thru hell and get worn down or chewed up?

Or, are they going to be carry grips with some range time thrown in?

Or a combo?

Mine? For me they're carry and range time.

Mine is for the range and car. I'm 5'-10" & my full sised 1911 is a bit too large for a carry gun on my frame. I'd much rather carry the XDs-9.

I'm totally good with the factory grips on mine.

IMG_0861.JPG

Cadd mentioned he'd thought about grips. There's some really cool stuff out there. Oh, I forgot about ivory micarta.

That's the 9mm version, right? Very nice choice, one that I would make myself.

It is 9mm version. I went with 9mm because of arthritis in my shooting hand. I love the way it felt at the range, very small and smooth recoil. Next paycheck I will be ordering some wilson combat magazines for it :)

The machine work is really good and though I can't tell much about the quality of the steel, well at least it isn't aluminum & plastic.

They didn't really finish the feed ramp, and I ended up blaming the stock magazine, but even with the Chip McCormick magazines it didn't chamber the first cartridge correctly.

Once I cleaned up that ramp it all ran really great.

Thanks for posting that picture. It reminded me to take mine apart and clean it which is why you got a disassembled picture of mine.

Back