• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1911: Pics and Discussion

I ordered a couple things to update my Kimber.

Firstly a set of Trijicon sights which I'll have installed tomorrow. Got them on sale (about $40 off) and free shipping.

IMG_0878.JPG

Also ordered the Ed Brown mainspring housing/extended magwell combo with internals already installed.

IMG_0880.JPG

I got this far;

IMG_0882.JPG

And realized I had ordered incorrectly.

IMG_0883.JPG

A minor setback. I'm returning the parts tomorrow to be exchanged for what I need. I should have the officer sized parts by Monday of not this coming week but the following.

The sights are done and the Ed Brown parts are on their way back to Perry MO. The sights are slightly off center so I'll shoot tomorrow and see what it's doing. I may have to drift the front sight over a bit more.

I don't have brass punches but I'm going to check the hardware store for a piece of small square aluminum bar stock. Something I saw in a video by Dawson who makes sights. He just uses a regular vice and an aluminum punch from square bar which he includes in some of his sight sets it seems.

Last edited:
Here are the Trijicon sights on the Ultra Carry II.

IMG_0905.JPG

And how it's grouping with the front sight being off;

IMG_0903.JPG

A few shots I found myself looking past the front sight and focusing on the target but when I corrected myself, shots started going back to the larger hole. A little adjustment will get me back on the bull. That's otherwise two magazines going to about the same place.

The sights are done and the Ed Brown parts are on their way back to Perry MO. The sights are slightly off center so I'll shoot tomorrow and see what it's doing. I may have to drift the front sight over a bit more.

I don't have brass punches but I'm going to check the hardware store for a piece of small square aluminum bar stock. Something I saw in a video by Dawson who makes sights. He just uses a regular vice and an aluminum punch from square bar which he includes in some of his sight sets it seems.

I'll have a Dawson's punch in the mail to you today. Party on!

I'll have a Dawson's punch in the mail to you today. Party on!

Thanks man, I really appreciate it! That square cut punch is gonna be the ticket especially for the front sight so I can get a bite on the bottom instead of smacking the post.

Sorry Rossignol, I caught this late. Nice UC II, I love mine. I did change my main spring housing with the WC, http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Mainspring-Housing-Flat-Compact-Aluminum/productinfo/92AO/, did not have to change any springs. Dropped right in, I also changed my beaver tail safety to the Kimber tactical model. The WC main spring housing checkering is pretty sharp, can get a little rough when spending the day shooting.

I also found myself shooting left of center no matter what I did. I punched the night site over as well.

CHeers.

For some reason I always tend to shoot to the left with a 1911.

I can fix that just by switching to my left hand.

In that case I always tend to find myself shooting to the right.

Shooting with two hands I am always slightly to the left. At this point I think it's just me.

Sorry Rossignol, I caught this late. Nice UC II, I love mine. I did change my main spring housing with the WC, http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Mainspring-Housing-Flat-Compact-Aluminum/productinfo/92AO/, did not have to change any springs. Dropped right in, I also changed my beaver tail safety to the Kimber tactical model. The WC main spring housing checkering is pretty sharp, can get a little rough when spending the day shooting.

I also found myself shooting left of center no matter what I did. I punched the night site over as well.

CHeers.

Thanks man, and I almost bought the same housing but went with the Ed Brown for the magwell extension.

For some reason I always tend to shoot to the left with a 1911.

I can fix that just by switching to my left hand.

In that case I always tend to find myself shooting to the right.

Shooting with two hands I am always slightly to the left. At this point I think it's just me.

You both mention something that I think is really common. I and my daughter both also shoot left and it wasn't until recently that I began correcting that somewhat with some guidance. In my case now, my front sight is visibly off center so I feel confident that once that's fixed I'll be over the bull.

When I and my daughter first started shooting the 1911 and we're shooting the same way, I really truly thought the issue was the gun.

I always thought it was just my gun heating up. I usually put the first one or two right in the center, then they go sort of randomly to the left.

But when I shoot the nine millimeter looks more like this:
20161002_193635.jpg

I'll put two or three right in the heart and then they'll drift off all over the place.

I am thinking that this is a rhythm problem when I'm shooting. I don't have the rhythm down for each pistol.

For the first two or three shots I can strong arm it. After that it gets random.

focus on the front sight only, dont flinch, pull the trigger directly to the rear slow and steady.

With the trigger with striker fire pistols you press till you feel the "wall". Then at that point you press slowly until it breaks while keeping your attention on the front sight.

Seems you're looking the target and not the front sight and may be flinching or clenching your fists just before the shot goes off.

There is no anticipation. There is no bang.... there is only the trigger press and sight picture/alignment.

27358099510_7bc38ca1db_z.jpg

50 rounds, 1911 45acp, 7-10 yards

It's not easy and takes a lot of dry fire practice. Then forcing yourself not to anticipate recoil is also another challenge.

28522992553_7d6e14168d_z.jpg

10 rounds 7 yards

Cadd, what range was that target?

And WM is dead on.
I was sure my G30 sights were "off" because of the left displacement. My instructor shot the gun with about the same size groups but pretty much dead center.

Awareness of sight picture ALL the way thru the trigger press cured me [after thousands of dry fires.] So rather than just drifting sights, make sure your sight picture is rock steady all the way to FIRE.

I found taping a laser pen to the side of the gun during dry fire was useful to see how to move the muscles in my trigger hand while keeping the gun steady.

When you think you are ready to make noise and holes, take a bunch of mags loaded with 4 rounds plus one dummy that is not in the top or bottom position at random. Have a friend stand beside you as you squeeze off the rounds. When you hear a click then FREEZE and your observer should see ABSOLUTELY NO movement. Pay a half a buck every time you get caught off target after the hammer falls. [I'm making my money back with my students :) ]

Last edited:
I do much better with the SAA .357.
It's much easier to hold.
It's pretty much slow-fire only though because you must cock it.

With the 9mm I was shooting at 10 yards, rapid fire.

You can actually have tight groups shooting fast. It just takes some drills and your grip has to be solid along with your foundation in handgun fundamentals being solid.

I've done a drill in December with my buddy/Instructor where we put 5 rounds into a target rather quickly but we build up to it.

I'm talking 5 rapid shots (under 3 seconds) 3-5 yards fist sized or smaller.

It's a sexy beast.

IMG_0930.JPG

I've never changed parts any more difficult than grips and this mainspring housing took like 3 minutes.

Also drifted both the front and rear sights with the aluminum punch @Water Monkey sent. The square flat sides helped quite a bit. Even so, it took persuasion in the 32 oz flavor of a ball peen. I'm definitely centered up on target better. I only ran one magazine through it today but all shots are in the 9 ring at worst and still slightly left but I'm not positive that isn't me.

IMG_0931.JPG

Back