1911: Pics and Discussion

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by AC45ACP, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

Hi. I need some help.

I took apart my FILs Thompson Auto Ordnance 1911 last night to clean it including the mainspring housing and the spring between the mainspring housing and grip frame. Put it back together and now the hammer doesn't lock back. I can squeeze the grip safety and the trigger functions as far as going from not being able to move to moving with the proper travel but whatever engages the hammer to lock it back isn't doing its thing.
  2. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .308 "Philanthropist"

Been a while since I had mine that far apart, but I do remember the leaf spring being difficult to get back in properly, IIRC there's three leaves to it, an they have to be positiond in 3 different planes. I'm pretty sure I had to do some Google and YouTube to get them back in right.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    [​IMG]
    Rossignol likes this.
  3. nitesite

nitesite Ammo Nerd Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Did the disconnector and sear and hammer get removed and re-installed as well, or just the MSH and flat spring?
  4. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Not sure if i can explain properly im not home to make you a picture. But common occurance your sear spring tab is probably not on top of the sear foot. Il pull one apart when i get home and make a pic if you dont have resolved already.
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  5. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Sponsor Forum Moderator

This is as far as I took it down. Though this photo doesn't show that flat spring or leaf spring.

image2.JPG

Looking at the photo above Diesel posted, it looks like it might be the prong if you will all the way to the left that I have out of place. Maybe?

I won't be home to try again until about 6 or 7 this evening.
  6. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

You got it folks often get left sear tab under the foot instead of on top. No biggee it happens. Youll be just fine sir.
    Rossignol and Water Monkey like this.
  7. CaddmannQ

CaddmannQ .308 Supporter

I haven't stripped my 45 down that far yet. I soaked all that internal stuff in oil and blew it out with an air hose when I first got it, but that was about it.

But I'm looking forward to this and now I know it's going to be a little bit fussy to get things back in order.
  8. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Just home heres a quick pick not best photographer holding pistol flashlight and phone. Hope helps.
    20170717_180502.jpg 20170717_180429.jpg
    Rossignol likes this.
  9. Rossignol

That helps! How do you remove the grip safety?
  10. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Can vary slightly but after obviously safing the pistol.
    I can simply move hammer rear then rotate thumb safety ON or UP. Grasp safety and pull away from frame wiggling(technical term). Once its out the grip safety simply slides out with little effort. Ps dont loose dentent spring etc.. For thumb safety as you pull wiggle safety out. Hope i made that understandable? Sorry i can do this stuff in my sleep but explaining it may not be my strong point.
    nitesite likes this.
  11. dieselmudder

dieselmudder .308 "Philanthropist"

DJ, I'm saving those pictures for future reference. Perhaps we can get a mod to sticky them at the top of the forum as well.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
  12. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Man my stuff is like an autistic savant did it plus a crusty old 1911 lol.
    Here is a guide I found with some pics kid does pretty good job explains things much better than I can.
    http://how-i-did-it.org/detail-1911/frame_detail.html
  13. Rossignol

Gentlemen, thanks for the help, I got it runnin!
    nitesite likes this.
  14. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Good deal you wont be stabbed to death by fil since he wouldnt have been able to shoot you.
    John A. and Rossignol like this.
  15. Rossignol

lol, true that! I actually didn't even tell him about it, just hoped I'd have it fixed before it became important!

I only offered to clean it because he said it was malfunctioning. I took it apart and began blasting it with some sort of gun wash, I think it's made by Winchester. But it has the tube like a can of wd40. It ran black on to the paper towels. What little oil was left was gummed up with powder residue. It was actually sticky in places. Parts all look good except for the barrel link and where it's pinned to the barrel. That's pretty well worn.

I like the idea of separating the fixes from the rest.
    dieselmudder likes this.
  16. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Forum Moderator Supporter

My new Wilson Combat X-TAC 9mm
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    nitesite, Djcala and Rossignol like this.
  17. Rossignol

Everything about that thing is beautiful but for whatever reason, my favorite part is the one piece magazine well/mainspring housing.

Not that anything else doesn't stand out because the attention to every detail is obvious. But I love the bobbed grip and magazine well with all its bevels and curves.
    Water Monkey likes this.
  18. Rossignol

Wait a minute wait a minute wait a minute... maybe the barrel crown.
    Water Monkey likes this.
  19. Djcala

Djcala .223 Supporter

Gorgeous pistol my jealous meter is pegged at 100%. Congrats on very nice piece sir. Thank you for sharing.
    nitesite and Water Monkey like this.
  20. nitesite

nitesite Ammo Nerd Forum Moderator "Philanthropist"

Oh

My

God.

WM, it is stunning.
    Water Monkey likes this.