• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1985 Mossberg 500 compared to today's 590

pepi

.270 WIN
So much smoother on the pump-action ... WHY? My 590 when it is jacked back seems to want to hang-up unless you give it he||. I've noticed on YouTube other people fighting with the 590 on the pump action. Why is my old 500 so smoooooooth (It also hasn't had a lot of round through it)

Last edited:
Fellmann gave you good advice.

I've completely removed the finish from the lifter, cartridge stop and ejector on my 590. Plus the action bars over time will wear the finish off so you can help them along. Best to completely disassemble the gun and smooth any rough spots on the trigger assembly and the bolt. Really makes a difference.

They will really smooth out after 500 rounds or so!

Regards

It appears the sticky feeling is when the lifter operates. I will get the stones out and polish her up and see what happens. I know the old Mossy was not polished and is so smooth. I think QC may have gone a bit south on all guns made today. My last S&W airweight had aluminum shavings in the works ???

Well, I polished all the rough spots and the gun is smooth without the barrel. When I put the barrel on it gets weird again. If the tighten the end cap down snug on the gun barrel it will lockup in the back position jacking the action :(

Last edited:
I’m having the same problem with the action on my new Shockwave. I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed it, but it didn’t really help. Two months ago, when I couldn’t find a Shockwave, I bought a new 590 Cruiser. The action on that works great.

While the Shockwave was apart, my cartridge stop looked like it may have a slight bend to it. If it is bent, that may explain why my finish has worn off only one action bar and one side of the magazine tube. I plan on taking the Shockwave and Cruiser apart so I can compare their stops.

Last edited:
I’m having the same problem with the action on my new Shockwave. I disassembled, cleaned, and lubed it, but it didn’t really help. Two months ago, when I couldn’t find a Shockwave, I bought a new 590 Cruiser. The action on that works great.

While the Shockwave was apart, my cartridge stop looked like it may have a slight bend to it. If it is bent, that may explain why my finish has worn off only one action bar and one side of the magazine tube. I plan on taking the Shockwave and Cruiser apart so I can compare their stops.

I put the inners of my old 500 in my Shockwave and still have this issue. It appears that the ejector riding in the bolt slot is the hanging point. I noticed that Mossberg has made the groove in the newer bolt beveled compared to my older 500 bolt. Number 25 in the diagram I think is the culprit. I'm not going to try and bend it either. I still cannot see why adding the barrel makes a difference when returning the action forward? The bolt has not even reached the point of locking into the barrel slot at this point? Sure do love my 500 more. Guess this SW will need to be manhandled.

Attachments

• ejector.jpg
    ejector.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 10
Back