• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

1st tactical shotgun build

Blood_Trail

.270 WIN
Today, I bought a Mossberg 500 Zombie Edition for $250. I want to really trick this thing out. I have a Black Aces Tactical picatinny quad rail on order. I want to go with a 6 position stock with a tactical fore end that will allow me to install a forward hand grip. These are some things I need input on:

1. I want to put detachable sights on it. Any ideals?

2. Optics: I was looking at UTG red/green dot scopes. What do yall think?

3. flashlights

4. Green laser

What do yall recommend?

1. Any AR style rail mounted sight should work but will raise the line of sight well above the POI. Are you looking for something you can actually remove or just fold down?

2. UTG has kind of hit or miss with me. Some say the same about TruGlo but I have had good luck with their sights. I also like the Primary Arms Micro Dot, it's probably about the best I can think of in the sub $100 range.

3. Streamlight TLR-1 is a good light I've had it mounted to my G19 for some time and it can take a beating. I've seem many other people mount it to a shotgun. I really don't have much experience with others.

4. Sorry, I really don't have any advice on a laser.

http://tactical4less.com/collections/la ... eaponlight

ttp://www.armorytechairsoft.com/airsoft ... ht-de.html

This is what I'm looking at for my AR I know it says airsoft but it seems to be very durable not sure if it will hold up on a shot gun though there 180 lumens!

I'd add a nice railed forend to mount a vertical grip/light/laser combo!

Gonna second the orimary arms red dot I've done lots of searches about them everyone has had great things to say!

Maybe some ghost ring sights?

Good luck with your new purchase!

Less is more in my humble opinion. The money you save could be used for ammo and quality training:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSUUVI1iyYs[/youtube]

Before:
ypa4evu2.jpg

After:
u3u3y4aq.jpg

Your 500 Looks Incredible.. I'm also thinking about buying the Black Aces Tactical picatinny quad rail for my 88.. Just wonder if it will fit a 18.5 Barrel with a 5 shell mag tube

Permission be be a jacknut for a moment?

Side bets on how much is there after 300 rounds?

I'm kidding. Cool mods. I hope they function for you. Ergonomics and comfort make a huge difference when using a firearm as intense as a shotgun.

Your 500 Looks Incredible.. I'm also thinking about buying the Black Aces Tactical picatinny quad rail for my 88.. Just wonder if it will fit a 18.5 Barrel with a 5 shell mag tube
It will. It comes with a tube mag extender you can attract to the mag tube.

I'll give this thing a good USMC field testing to see how true the sights are. The tact rail is loc-tite in. It ain't going anywhere. My only concern is te red dot. Hoping the recoil reducing stock takes a little vinegar out of it.

Did you end up with the UTG optic?
I have a couple shotguns I would love to find a decent reflex optic for.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Last edited:
I ruined a TruGlo after about 50 rounds on my 930. Please put it through its paces. I want something that will last.

Sent from my Apple Newton in 1993 with 640k of RAM

Hey blood, something I found out recently with the 500 20 inch ZMB... The hornady line of shells that uses the "versa tite wad", available in OO, 3 inch magnum nickel plated OO, 4buck and nickel plated bb (they are marketed differently-- some as varmint/coyote rounds and some as their tap FPD line) are a fraction of an inch shorter than standard 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells (of course the 3 inch aren't less than 2 3/4.. Not sure if they're shorter than a standard 3 inch) Therefore, u can fit an extra round in the tube making it 8+1 not the advertised 7+1.
This is a double benefit for me bc the versa tite wad, like federals flight control wad, pattern tighter than normal buck shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hey blood, something I found out recently with the 500 20 inch ZMB... The hornady line of shells that uses the "versa tite wad", available in OO, 3 inch magnum nickel plated OO, 4buck and nickel plated bb (they are marketed differently-- some as varmint/coyote rounds and some as their tap FPD line) are a fraction of an inch shorter than standard 2 3/4 inch shotgun shells. Therefore, u can fit an extra round in the tube making it 8+1 not the advertised 7+1.
This is a double benefit for me bc the versa tite wad, like federals flight control wad, pattern tighter than normal buck shot.

Dude, that is good to know!

I tested the 4bk and 00 while I was at the ranch hunting hogs this week. The 4 bk kept 90% of the pellets on a torso sized target at 25 yards and the 00 did that at 40 yards.

Back