• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

20" barrel for trap/general use

Chris111

.270 WIN
So I was thinking about getting the lady to go trap shooting one day to see if she'd like it. We're at the house and I decided to see of she could get the form down with the 28" field gun and it was a bit muzzle heavy. I feel like she'd have a hard time "swinging" the weight to stay on target. I think she might stick the muzzle in the dirt a lot as well. So I was looking around and thought about a 20" choked barrel. Something like a turkey gun if you will. I think she'd really get a better balance with this kind of setup ad may actually like shooting clays in general.

So that being said, has anyone had any luck with this? Of course it could be done with the right choke but is it worth me buying a barrel? I would probably use the barrel myself for various things as well I'd imagine.

Discuss

I have shot clays with a 20” barrel. It was fine and I think your right on the money for a good barrel for your woman. It is all in the chokes and ammo….I even had an cylinder and was doing ok as long as I got them quick.Let us know how it works and what she thinks

Choked modified or better? No problem. It doesn't take much to get a little chip out of a bird, and that counts as much as a score as a dusted one does. If you intend to push for her to keep shooting down the road I'd vote for a 26". Or just tough it out with the 28. I've shot it with an 18, and with trap it's not a huge deal, but even with the middlin' going aways where you're only leading an inch or two, the shorter sight radius did give me some surprises. More like cripples than full misses, but still.

Just an opinion.

I had great luck taking a skeet class with a 20" cylinder-bore 590.

With trap, I understand you have to shoot pretty quick without choke tubes, but one with chokes, I'm told by some who have done it, would do just fine.

I've shot a couple birds with a 20"... My daughter uses a 24" VR with dual beads. Its a nice gun! She hits birds too!

BigFatGuy said:
I had great luck taking a skeet class with a 20" cylinder-bore 590.

With trap, I understand you have to shoot pretty quick without choke tubes, but one with chokes, I'm told by some who have done it, would do just fine.

Oh yeah. Even with a modified choke, I've intentionally shot some birds that were dropping just for kicks. You won't dust them but you can shoot really late in trap and have them split down the middle.

The round isn't a problem. She shoots an ak just fine within 100 yards. I feel that the 7.62 is similar to birdshot. The length of the gun makes it awkward for her to shoulder with proper form.

My wife started her Trap Carreer with a 28" Beretta. Now she is shooting a 30" Browning.
Whatever gets her out there and shooting will be fine.
After she gets good at it, she may want bigger and better for her gun.

As for her shouldering with propper form, it is probably a stock/fit issue rather than a barrel length thing.

Let me clarify this for everyone. The overall stock length is probably could be a bit shorter for sure. She has the form but she can't support the weight very well because the forward hand is farther forward than say an ak. She's also not used to a sporting stock.

I bought my daughter a Silver Reserve II for trap. It has 26" barrel. She uses full chokes and she breaks 18 to 23 birds per round. She is 12.

We shoot trap and skeet with a 26" and 28" barrel. 20" on trap might be not so great, but on close range skeet. :mrgreen:

blue said:
Choked modified or better? No problem. It doesn't take much to get a little chip out of a bird, and that counts as much as a score as a dusted one does. If you intend to push for her to keep shooting down the road I'd vote for a 26". Or just tough it out with the 28. I've shot it with an 18, and with trap it's not a huge deal, but even with the middlin' going aways where you're only leading an inch or two, the shorter sight radius did give me some surprises. More like cripples than full misses, but still.

Just an opinion.

Your opinion, Mossberg was suppose to send me a 24" turkey barrel, but instead I recieved a 28" mod. barrel, should I get it exchanged, or keep it?

Back