• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

20 gauge slug?

Waiting on my SA-20 to arrive and plan on taking it straight to the range to cycle some ammo through it, get to know it, and sight it in. The (closest) range here only allows you to shoot slugs. Being a novice at shotguns what would you guys suggest to purchase and where? Looking to throw about 100 rounds down range, don't want to be frustrated by cheap crap, but still want it to be economical... BTW are there any acronyms for shotgun ammo? I understand a 5.56, 7.62, and 50 cal... but geez all the choices with shotgun ammo has my head spinning. :shock:

Acronyms huh... I don't know what you particularly mean but the first things that come too mind are:

00 - is 00 Buckshot (00 Buck)
Foster/Brenneke - Style of "rifled" slugs
Sabot - slug for Rifled Shotgun Barrels
Shot - is the projectile (various sizes from 000 Buckshot too #12 shot) Probably more I just don't know lol

Is that the stuff you are looking for?

As for a good 20ga slug to shoot, assuming your barrel is smooth bore, Remington Sluggers are good place too start. If you want to get some "better" stuff you are going to most likely have to order it online.

Brenneke USA makes a really good slug, speaking from the 12ga slugs I have shot.
Winchester and Federal are good ones too but sometimes Winchester (I have found) are less than appealing.. BUT Results may vary, as every gun shoots different ammunition differently

Itsricmo said:
Acronyms huh... I don't know what you particularly mean but the first things that come too mind are:

00 - is 00 Buckshot (00 Buck)
Foster/Brenneke - Style of "rifled" slugs
Sabot - slug for Rifled Shotgun Barrels
Shot - is the projectile (various sizes from 000 Buckshot too #12 shot) Probably more I just don't know lol

Is that the stuff you are looking for?

As for a good 20ga slug to shoot, assuming your barrel is smooth bore, Remington Sluggers are good place too start. If you want to get some "better" stuff you are going to most likely have to order it online.

Brenneke USA makes a really good slug, speaking from the 12ga slugs I have shot.
Winchester and Federal are good ones too but sometimes Winchester (I have found) are less than appealing.. BUT Results may vary, as every gun shoots different ammunition differently

Well by acronym's I mean JJDIDTIEBUCKLE
J...justice
J...judgement
D...dependability
I...integrity
D...decisiveness
T...tact
I...iniative
E...enthusiasm
B...bearing
U...unselfishness
C...courage
K...knowledge
L...loyalty
E...endurance

Cant believe (and it took me a while :D ) I still remember that but that's a good example. All of the different ammo for shotguns being a noob makes my head spin. I have read the ammunition thread and it was very helpful but I need to read it over and over again I suppose.

I understand that "buck" is derived from shooting a buck, so it's a sort of a slug? On the other hand a smooth bore and a rifled shell? or a rifled bore and a non rifled shell? Maybe that is where my confusion is searching for an inexpensive slug for my first trip to the range.

lol nothing quite like that! :p

Smooth Bore and "rifled" slug.. they are not actually rifled but have the appearance that they are by the ribs that are made to allow them to pass through a restrictive (Cylinder, Improved Cylinder, Modified) choke.

Rifled Bore and "Sabot" slug, pretty much like a rifle.

Buck shot is commonly packed 9 per shell and each ball is .30 in diameter

I shoot lightfields. But i have a rifled barrel.

Sent from behind the hood of a long nose pete.

The Brenneke Magnums shoot very well from my 20 Mossberg 500.

My 870 (12g) seems to like the plain ole Remington sluggers.

When I get a fifled barrel I plan on trying the Harnady SST's. I shoot the 300gr SST's out of my muzzleloader and they group great.

Back