• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

2014 Barnett Raptor

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
Yup, another new toy. Yes, it's an addiction.

Put the new Raptor together tonight. This is a new model for 2014, not even on their web site yet. :D This is basically their Recuit model with heavier 150# limbs instead of the 130#. This bow is 10" narrower than the my Wildcat and much easier to maneuver in a small blind (the main reason for my purchase.)

I really like the weight and balance of this bow compared to my Wildcat. The open forend and lighter weight makes it easier to carry. The width is great. I wish I had bought the Recruit now instead of the Wildcat. I shot it a couple times in the garage and it seems very solid, no rattles or shakes.

I do have a few dings. The end of the stock that is adjustable seems a bit cheap compared to the rest of the stock and the lower adjustment screw is stripped. No big deal as there is so little adjustment that I don't think it will matter. Might be a bigger deal to someone else.

The scope is clear but I dropped it while unwrapping it and put a nice dent in the top (see pic). It only fell about 12 inches to my basement floor, not far enough that it should have dented that bad. if at all. While it is clear, it is made of very thin aluminum. It also has quite long eye relief. I cannot mount it forward enough to see the entire field of view. This will be the first piece I will swap out (I expected to anyway)

I'm not a fan of the Barnett quivers. They do not stay in place when bumped and when cold it is hard to add/remove the arrows. I wish they had a better way to mount other quivers (same issue with the Wildcat)

Overall first impressions with the bow itself are good. Can't wait to get out and shoot it some distance and see how it groups.

BarnettRaptor_002_zpsb39eec44.jpg

BarnettRaptor_001_zps89d05e10.jpg

BarnettRaptor_003_zps5987f8ce.jpg

BarnettRaptor_004_zps963976a6.jpg

BarnettRaptor_006_zps8d41d01d.jpg

WOW, Mike I don't know a thing about crossbows but that is one bad ass lookin' weapon. :D

That is a nice looking Crossbow.

how cool is that, that would be a cool SHTF tool to have around too.....silent

could you get a few off quick if you had to ?

It's fairly quick to reload but not as fast as with a verticle bow.

Crossbows are not as loud as guns but there is nothing quiet about it. It's definitely quieter than the recurve limb xbow I have but anything within range is definitely going to hear it. I'll try to record the sound to give an example.

oli700 said:
how cool is that, that would be a cool SHTF tool to have around too.....silent

could you get a few off quick if you had to ?

Simple solution:

Don't miss the first time ;)

I've been shooting a bit this year to get ready for deer season. Yesterday I got to shoot it through the chrony.

The Raptor is averaging 320 fps with a 445 grain arrow. Not to bad.

The Excalibur Phoenix averaged 268 fps and the Barnett Wildcat averaged 290 fps. Funny how watching those little numbers pop up can be so much fun when shooting. LOL

Sounds like it's flying fast enough. I almost commented on this post yesterday as last year my wife bought me a Wildcat also, things changed over that time and it left due to some money troubles but now being the sweetest wife ever (yes she needs to read that) I have another one coming home soon, upgraded of course.

@Nevernoluck The Wildcat is a nice bow. It was the first crossbow I ever bought. Post up some pics when you get it.

I was able to get my handicap crossbow permit this year here finally so I can use it during all bow seasons.

But I have never owned a crossbow, I am a little overwhelmed at the choices and the small details separating them.

What I'd really like to do is maybe find a used xbow that is decent and keep it in or under $250 for the whole setup. And then I'd be at a loss for bolts and broadheads some kind of crank to cock it with.

Last year when my Wildcat was bought NEW it was on sale for $279.99, it came with bolts, rope cocking aid, scope, quiver, only thing needed was broadheads. But yes their are many options on what to get, best bet is if you have a local shop that is willing to let you shoot a handful of options like the one here.

After looking at the Raptor, for a little more money it'd be a good deal. Biggest thing I found after the first one is to have a shorter axle to axle length.

Not a whole lot of detail but I turned my camera on while discharging the Raptor over the weekend. The camera is mounted to the accessory rail under the bow.

The target is only 30 yards away but it looks a lot further due to the wide angle lens on the camera.

Not a lot to see but it does zip it down range pretty fast, you almost have to watch it full screen to even see the arrow:

How many fps is the raptor rated at?

I know the wildcat you sold me shoots very well. I am extremely pleased with it. Despite not taking anything with it.

Yet.

But I have confidence that it will.

The Raptor is sold as a 330fps bow, I am getting 320fps with my setup. I am shooting a 445 grain arrow which is 45 gr above the minimum that Barnett recommends.

NICE looking bow you got there fella...................very nice.

I have just bought an Armex Jaguar 175lb recurve crossbow. I agree that contrary to popular belief they are not SILENT. I think that from listening to your video my recurve bow is a little bit noisier. I was shooting mine today at two targets placed at 15 and twenty five yards. Very accurate with it's red/green dot sight.

There is a hell of a WHACK noise on impact when the bolts hit the archery boss.

I can reload it reasonably quickly. I wear working gloves with non slip rubber palms and fingers. I feel like I have been to the gym today.

A whole different ball game from shooting a rifle, a different skill as I have found out.

I recently bought this out of a sense of "vulnerability"............some may say paranoia.

I am stuck in the nanny state of England at the moment until possibly February next year. My son is in hospital being treated for Lymphatic cancer, so I am not here by choice but out of neccesity. My guns are all at home in Spain so I just feel a tad vulnerable being "gunless".

So I bought the bow and a cold steel Gladius machete. No licence required even in nanny state U.K.

Gunless in the U.K...............apart from what else is going on in my life what a nightmare !!!

Last edited:
Back