• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

223/556 wtf am I doing lol

11Dark11

I just picked up the Lee’s 50 anniversary set and dyes for 223.
Next is a black and Decker fold up work bench.
Have some Barrns 70gr TSX.
need:
Powders
primers
casings

what els lol

off the top of my head, these would really help if you don't have them already

Powder measure

scale

Sizer

bullet puller

tumbler

case lube

I like to use a hand priming tool to seat my primers.

Lyman universal case prep tool to decrimp the primers.

Last edited:
The Anniversary Kit has a lot for beginners already included with it. The included powder measure is sufficient but Lee makes better ones as do many other brands.

For starters in answer to your question.... for case trimming (which a must for 5.56/.223) they state this in the anniversary kit product description

https://leeprecision.com/50th-anniversary-breech-lock-challenger-kit.html

"case trimmer to trim on your reloading press (order cartridge specific Quick Trim Die separately), and a Cutter and Lock Stud to trim your cases by hand. If utilziing the cutter and lock stud, order the correct Case Length Gauge for the calibers you will be loading,"

A Hornady Reloading Manual

A better powder scale although the included one is accurate it is just very unconventional and slow. I have one and it is okay. But I upgraded.

Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax

Calipers for measuring case length and loaded O.A.L.

Primer Pocket swaging die for taking the crimp out of military brass if you run into an occasional one or three.

A vibratory tumbler and tumbling media ( I prefer Lyman treated corncob)

A universal decapping die if you get a bunch of once-fired military brass that is still crimped. I advise you don't in the beginning buy crimped .mil brass as that just sucks ALL the fun out of getting into reloading.

If you find a deal on commercially cleaned and sized and trimmed and decapped and primer pocket swaged used brass, go with that.

What barrel twist are you going to be shooting those 70-gr TSX bullets?

Last edited:
I started with that set myself. And loaded a lot of ammo with it. If you're not in a rush it will work well as you start reloading. I've upgraded all but the press to date. An RCBS primer pocket swager would be my best suggestion if you're using 5.56 once fired. And then the quick trim die, and quick trim tool. And an extra recapping pin, for your resizing die of choice.
2411b15a77b649dc775e779ad23c546b.jpg

Couple more very important things I thought of. Fine tip sharpies, and a notebook. When I was doing load workup, I would write powder weight on each case. I would often do 10 different charge weights, with 5 shots of each weight.

And document everything in the notebook. The date you loaded, how many you loaded, all of the information for each different loading. Then write down the date, weather conditions, and results when you shoot. I still go back to notes I made 3-4 years ago.

Yes, hand notes are very important. After you get loading for a while, you'll never remember how they all did without them.

All good I only own one Mossberg. After a few range days it had better smooth out more. Or I’m going to half to get jewlers rouge to the bolt and touching parts..... grrr

Back