• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

223 brass versus steel scientific testing

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Here is a pretty good test using both brass and steel cased ammo and their affects on a barrel bore.

They made a casting before, during and after the testing to compare in two 5.56 chambered barrels to show the wear on the chamber, throat, etc.

Special thanks to Anderson Mfg and Federal Ammo, and Tula Ammo USA for supplying everything.

I do wish that we could have had a before and after accuracy test with these barrels to make sure the bimetal jacket of the Tula Ammo hadn't worn the rifling excessively as compared to the copper jacket over lead combo that Federal uses.

http://tulammousa.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Tul.pdf

MythBusted.png

Interesting. Had of taken some time to run all those rounds through those guns. It's a tough job but someone has to do it. LOL

should have cast the section of the gas port including a couple inches of the lands ......I never question the chamber area.....the myth I always hear is the steel mixed with copper that they use for a bullet jacket. Even a little steel on steel has to degrade rifling.....make that a stainless barrel too

^ Agreed

And why I was also curious about the lands/rifling

With that said, I've been shooting a crap load of that stuff.

I shot a bunch from various 223 as well.......but I don't want to put it through my stainless

I'd run it in the pistol though CMV 4150 QPQ should hold up and its not really an accuracy machine

I wouldn't hesitate to put I through a chrome line barrel but those are the only ones

Back