• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.223 Remington/5.56 NATO Introduction

While I had the new AR in my grimy little paws for about 2 minutes Monday, I pulled the pin, broke it open, and looked inside.

The parts all looked first class as far as the machine work is concerned.

Of course you can't see the material properties.

Since I have the Leupold AR scope, and 400 rounds, my next purchase will be a bi-pod.

No AR looks right to me without one.

Sigh...No AR for me yet.

Maybe tomorrow, Dave will get off the dime and get it together.
This is the gun he said he could build in 30 minutes with a blindfold.
I've been waiting 8 days since he said he'd do it & I want to go shoot this sucker Saturday.

He's selling too many guns right now. That's the problem!

30 minutes is about right for someone who does it casually in their garage , and dude......that's a complete build.
Your buddy Dave is buying half the gun already assembled

There was a little machiing required to fit the bullet button. This receiver isnt the regular califoria rig. I loaned him the cutting tool.

He did build the lower, because I held the bare receiver in my hands. It does not have a cartridge type trigger like Timmney.

I never saw the upper, until the gun was 99% complete. but I'll get a complete inventory of what he used on the bill.

I've known this guy for 27 years,
and we've been business partners on a few contracting jobs. I'll cut him a lot of slack, because he does the same for me.

This is a no-profit deal for him, so I won't demand he ignore his regular business to do this.

Also, the warranty period will run out when one of us dies. Most folks only give you a year or two.

BTW I got to shoot an expensive AR with a Creedmore upper set, and I was really impressed. Some deputies had it at the range, and what a sweet shooter.

They let me plink their hostage target from 100 yds, and I only shot the hostage once.

They let me plink their hostage target from 100 yds, and I only shot the hostage once.

:eek:

Dude, do me a favor, if I'm ever being held hostage because I'm outnumbered and out of ammo, and can't swing the gun like a bat because the barrel is too hot to grab hold of, when the bad guy tells you to put the gun down or they'll shoot, listen to them. I'd rather take my chances.

:D:p:D

BTW John, that was a strange gun and a strange target.
But it was a very expensive gun, and I will admit to being very nervous about shooting it because of that.

Also I shot the perp 3x with the Savage .22, which would not move the flipper.

Last edited:
There was a little machiing required to fit the bullet button. This receiver isnt the regular califoria rig. I loaned him the cutting tool.
I haven't seen one in person so I wouldn't know what it takes to do that part

funny thing is today I was having a hell of a time putting the roll pin in that pins the gas tube to the gas block.....took me about 30 minutes just for that LOL

BTW I got to shoot an expensive AR with a Creedmore upper set, and I was really impressed. Some deputies had it at the range, and what a sweet shooter.

You shot a 6.5 Creedmore.....at 100 yards .......and you missed ?......that is equivelent to missing the water with a turd:p

Well there's a reason I don't compete. I'm old and my eyes suck.

But I hit it easily enough once I figured out the scope, because the scope was awesome but totally unfamilliar.

As was the gun.

I've shot exactly 8 rounds from an AR platform.

That's gonna change tomorrow. I bouht 370 rounds for it. I only have one 10 Rd mag though so the ammo will go slow.

Last edited:
lol, just hazing ya.....but seriously what a waist to shoot one at 100 yards .
That cartridge is mega efficient and the 6.5mm bullet it throws is arguably the best set of wind bucking, drop resisting projectiles created by man.......arguably.
they settle in about 400 yards and just sail.
Probably the best long range cartridge choice for the 308 based rounds for the AR10 platform

Hope you start a thread on your rifle and range report

I haven't seen one in person so I wouldn't know what it takes to do that part . . .

It should fit right in.

There was a tight fit on the hole, so the receiver had to be relieved a little where the button fits.

Though the hole was undersized, the regular mag release button still fit in, so it was only a few thousandths tight. The California bullet button is supposed to fit tight in the hole.

It works now, but he did a sloppy job of it. I wish he'd let me do the work, because he scarred the anodizing and touched it up with black paint.

I'm almost disappointed enough to sell it and start over. It's not that bad really. It just pisses me off, and I'll remember it every time I clean this gun.

Once I get the first mark on a pristine gun that's going to go anywhere and everywhere with me, it's a sigh of relief. Then I look forward to every opportunity to add more. A cosmetically worn working gun is a beautiful thing (to me).

My work guns still look really good mind you, but if they slam into something or get dropped onto something hard I no longer even look after picking it up. It just doesn't matter much.

Right now I have a brand new $850 uncased gun bouncing around in my patrol vehicle and it's on the floor between the seats knocking on steel plate.

Call me crazy. I know it isn't for everybody.

I understand. My prettiest tools aren't always the best or most favorite ones.

But I don't have work guns.

I quit saving money for retirement. I bought these for fun, and profit.

OK, maybe just fun, and that would be enough.

My buddy Bobby looked this gun over and was favorably impressed, for the money spent.

He's been shooting ARs for a while. He owns two, both nicer than mine.

Bob also informs me that the hostage target was on the 200 yds berm, and I am getting senile.

He's right. I remember commenting on how heavy that target was to hump up that hill.

I guess it just looked closer through that sewer pipe scope.

Last edited:
I'm pretty impressed. Also, maybe I see an AR10 in my future.

Maybe. If California doesn't go totally eco-nazi before Christmas. . .

I really want an old West buffalo gun, and a 12ga coach gun before the AR10, but there may be a time factor pressing the acquisition.

I suppose I should cash in some chips. After all, some things will comfort you more than a bank account.

Back