• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

25 round magazine stuck

Huntwell

Copper BB
Just purchased a 702 Plinkster about 2 weeks ago. It has never been fired since I bought it. The 10 round magazine that came with it could be removed with no problems. I recently procured a 25 round magazine and put it in the gun. However, when I tried to remove it, it will not release. I press the thumb press on the magazine and nothing happens. It doesn't seem as though it is depressing the release on the gun and it is now stuck.

Any suggestions regarding how to get the magazine unstuck would be greatly appreciated. Regardless, I think I'm going to be sending my gun in to Mossberg since this should have not happened.

Unfortunately I don't use 25 round mags in my 702 - opting instead for a fist full of 10 rounds.

I hope the 25 round set will stand in soon! Do e a net search?!

When a 25rd is in place, the magazine release is partially swung more downward . . . the "thumb press" on the magazine is just a piece of plastic attached via hinge that makes the plastic push forward, which pushes the release to swing even further downward. (I know you don't have a working unit for this to make sense, but still.)

If you look above the magazine's plastic thumb press, you can see a rounded portion of the magazine release between it and the gun. A screwdriver is sufficient to allow you to press this further downward and activate the release.

I would then check the magazine thumb press area for broken plastic. Alternately, if you can't get it to release, then there's something wrong with the mag release altogether, in which case you have greater issues.

Hope that helps!

Problem solved. I dismantled the magazine while in the rifle. I have a second 25 round magazine that I could test with and found it released with no problems. Clearly it is a defective magazine and will be going straight to Mossberg!

Thanks for the replies.

Back