• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

30-06, what type do I need?

guitarsoulja

Copper BB
Hi Folks,

I apologize for this newbie question, but I recently bought a 4x4 in 30-06. I'm wondering if there's a difference between ammo that says "30-06 Springfield" versus just "30-06". Is there a difference and which one does my gun take? The manual doesn't provide any help on this point Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks all. - AJ

To my knowledge there is absolutely no difference. Some companies just like to put the whole name of the cartridge on the box and some thing "30-06" is sufficient.

guitarsoulja said:
Hi Folks,

I apologize for this newbie question, but I recently bought a 4x4 in 30-06. I'm wondering if there's a difference between ammo that says "30-06 Springfield" versus just "30-06". Is there a difference and which one does my gun take? The manual doesn't provide any help on this point Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks all. - AJ

Which 4x4 did you get? Great rifle.

guitarsoulja said:
Hi Folks,

.30-06 is .30-06... no matter what name is put behind it :D The differences are in bullet weight, types and powder load. Most bolt action rifles will have no problems digesting the different varieties. But for rifles like the M1 Garand, which is semi-auto, it might have issues loading flat-tipped bullets. I would suggest to buy a view boxes of different types from different manufacturers and see how it shoots!

I agree with everything that's been said you're going to want to shoot various brands, bullet weights, and such to figure out which groups the best. Your gun will however go bang no matter what 30-06 round you put in it.

Thank you all very much for the very helpful feedback. For those who asked, the rifle is bolt action, laminate stock with matte stainless steel which I'm guessing is intended to reduce glare. It looks beautiful, feels fantastic, very light and just has a great feel all around. Can't wait to get out and shoot. Thanks guys. - AJ

guitarsoulja said:
Thank you all very much for the very helpful feedback. For those who asked, the rifle is bolt action, laminate stock with matte stainless steel which I'm guessing is intended to reduce glare. It looks beautiful, feels fantastic, very light and just has a great feel all around. Can't wait to get out and shoot. Thanks guys. - AJ

I can feel your excitement!!!!!!!!! :D

Back