• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.30-30 my latest reloads, and the state of the economy

andrew678122

.270 WIN
I have recently taken the scope off my 464 SPX and installed a Williams FP receiver sight. I really like the FP receiver sight, now all I need is the Lyman target front sight.

I have been to the range a few times, getting the bugs ironed out and sighting it in, but this morning I went to the range and shot it at 100yds. With the Williams FP I find it easier to be accurate as opposed to the stock sights. The only change I'm going to do at this point is get a Lyman target front sight, that way I'll be able to see the target at 100yds rather than have it hidden by the blade front sight. At 100yds the stock 464 front sight completely hides the 12" Birchwood Casey targets I was using. I just centered the fiber-optic where I knew the target to be.

This is the best group I shot, but quite a few groups were close to this:
DSC01158.JPG

I was shooting my reloads, but this time a 150gr Sierra flat nose with 29gr of H4895. I'm going back to my usual Speer bullets, but I ran out.

I used to buy Remington 150gr Core-Lokt, and got into reloading because it was cheaper, but now I can't even buy .30-30 in Academy or Walmart if I wanted to. I have heard that there is such a demand that ammo makers are only making the more popular cartridges. I guess .30-30 is not popular enough...

So now, reloading is the ONLY way to go. Prices for components has gone up some, but it's still way cheaper than store-bought ammo. I think I'm paying about $10 more per pound of powder, $1.50 more per 100 primers, but still about the same per 100 bullets. The powder and primers I buy locally because of the hazmat fee, and local prices are the ones that have risen the most. The bullets I get from Midsouth and are relatively unchanged, even the powder they sell is the same price! If I can invest in some powder I'll buy it in quantity, and the primers, but with the hazmat fee I'd need to buy 8 pounds or so before it really became worthwhile.

The bottom line is, I'm happy with my Mossberg 464 SPX, reloading and my shooting, what else is there?

I loved reading this post. Your shooting is pretty impressive, and clearly your reloading practices are good as well!

IMHO receiver mounted sights are what rock for a lever gun. Stock iron sights that are on the barrel mid-length are (not as bad but almost) as bad as AK-47 sights. There just isn't a long enough sight plane and the rear sight isn't close enough to the eye to establish a base aperture thru which to look. Buckhorn and semi-buckhorn are okay for fast moving targets but challenge anyone who is looking for real tight accuracy.

I wish I had some 4895. That stuff is proving impossible for me to find, so I'm dwindling down my 8-lb jug of Varget which I had meant for other uses.

Re: RE: .30-30 my latest reloads, and the state of the econo

I enjoyed reading your post as I have been wanting to reload for my .30-.30 for a while and have been wanting to put a receiver sight on as well. Gave me inspiration

I still don't see much of anything on the shelf here. The 30-30 is probably the most popular deer cartridge used here so I'm curious to see what happens come Nov 15th when firearm deer opens.

Nice groups on those reloads!!

nitesite said:
IMHO receiver mounted sights are what rock for a lever gun. Stock iron sights that are on the barrel mid-length are (not as bad but almost) as bad as AK-47 sights. There just isn't a long enough sight plane and the rear sight isn't close enough to the eye to establish a base aperture thru which to look. Buckhorn and semi-buckhorn are okay for fast moving targets but challenge anyone who is looking for real tight accuracy.
The receiver sight is really nice, but if anyone gets one, get a Williams FP12/37TK with the target knobs and order the knurled gib screw... look Ma, no screwdriver!
nitesite said:
I wish I had some 4895. That stuff is proving impossible for me to find, so I'm dwindling down my 8-lb jug of Varget which I had meant for other uses.
I know what you mean, any powder is difficult to find in El Paso. The gun shop at the Ft Bliss Rod and Gun Club has the best assortment of reloading supplies and equipment but the quantity is not great. I am going to try and do a large buy from Midsouth, but it'll be a while yet (I'm retired, living off the money I owe!)...

Mossybloke said:
I enjoyed reading your post as I have been wanting to reload for my .30-.30 for a while and have been wanting to put a receiver sight on as well. Gave me inspiration
Go ahead and do it! Ammo is so much cheaper when you roll your own, and you're not at the mercy of Walmarts nonexistent inventory. My breakdown for a single reload is as follows: bullet $.25, powder $.12, primer $.04 for a total of $.41 per round or 20 for $8.20. That is half Walmart's .30-30 Remington Core-Lokt price, if they ever get them in stock (I have seen none in the last 5-6 months). Look on eBay for a used single-stage press, I use an RCBS partner, with Lee dies which are both cheap and excellent. Get the .30-30 collet die set plus the factory crimp die. This combo only resizes the neck so the brass is not constantly being worked back to factory standard and then fire-formed to your chamber. If you have just the single .30-30 firearm, there is no need or reason to size the case back to factory specs. The Lee factory crimp die does a good job, and on the .30-30's tubular magazine a crimped round is a must.

Regarding the Williams FP receiver sight, I have a post in the 464 lever gun section, look at it, it should give you all the details...

MikeD said:
I still don't see much of anything on the shelf here. The 30-30 is probably the most popular deer cartridge used here so I'm curious to see what happens come Nov 15th when firearm deer opens.

Nice groups on those reloads!!
Yeah, I don't understand it, I think nationwide, the .30-30 is probably the most popular deer rifle. I haven't seen .30-30 rounds of any flavor in any Walmart or Academy for the better part of a year, possibly longer. I have read (at Hornady's website) that they have stopped producing the less popular rounds, instead concentrating on the more popular calibers. They talk about customer loyalty, how about a little manufacturer loyalty?

I have a Mossberg 464 Lever Action 30-30. Really like the gun and it shoots very well. When I first got it, went to the range and tried to sight in @ 50 yards. I was out of rear sight adjustment and still 14 inches low. Called Mossberg and sent it back. When it came back, to my surprise they put a set of Williams sights front and rear. Really shoots well with the Williams and I like that type of open sights. Just loaded 200 rounds of 30-30, Sierra Gameking 150 grain with 33 grains of H-4064. Groups very well in my gun.

I have recently taken the scope off my 464 SPX and installed a Williams FP receiver sight. I really like the FP receiver sight, now all I need is the Lyman target front sight.

I have been to the range a few times, getting the bugs ironed out and sighting it in, but this morning I went to the range and shot it at 100yds. With the Williams FP I find it easier to be accurate as opposed to the stock sights. The only change I'm going to do at this point is get a Lyman target front sight, that way I'll be able to see the target at 100yds rather than have it hidden by the blade front sight. At 100yds the stock 464 front sight completely hides the 12" Birchwood Casey targets I was using. I just centered the fiber-optic where I knew the target to be.

This is the best group I shot, but quite a few groups were close to this:

I was shooting my reloads, but this time a 150gr Sierra flat nose with 29gr of H4895. I'm going back to my usual Speer bullets, but I ran out.

I used to buy Remington 150gr Core-Lokt, and got into reloading because it was cheaper, but now I can't even buy .30-30 in Academy or Walmart if I wanted to. I have heard that there is such a demand that ammo makers are only making the more popular cartridges. I guess .30-30 is not popular enough...

So now, reloading is the ONLY way to go. Prices for components has gone up some, but it's still way cheaper than store-bought ammo. I think I'm paying about $10 more per pound of powder, $1.50 more per 100 primers, but still about the same per 100 bullets. The powder and primers I buy locally because of the hazmat fee, and local prices are the ones that have risen the most. The bullets I get from Midsouth and are relatively unchanged, even the powder they sell is the same price! If I can invest in some powder I'll buy it in quantity, and the primers, but with the hazmat fee I'd need to buy 8 pounds or so before it really became worthwhile.

The bottom line is, I'm happy with my Mossberg 464 SPX, reloading and my shooting, what else is there?

I had a Lyman Great Plains Rifle and eventually sold it, but I also had the receiver sight and globe front sight. Is there a way to retrofit the receiver sight and globe front sight to work with the Mossberg 464, pistol grip model?

I will message you with a question.

Go ahead and do it! Ammo is so much cheaper when you roll your own, and you're not at the mercy of Walmarts nonexistent inventory. My breakdown for a single reload is as follows: bullet $.25, powder $.12, primer $.04 for a total of $.41 per round or 20 for $8.20. That is half Walmart's .30-30 Remington Core-Lokt price, if they ever get them in stock (I have seen none in the last 5-6 months). Look on eBay for a used single-stage press, I use an RCBS partner, with Lee dies which are both cheap and excellent. Get the .30-30 collet die set plus the factory crimp die. This combo only resizes the neck so the brass is not constantly being worked back to factory standard and then fire-formed to your chamber. If you have just the single .30-30 firearm, there is no need or reason to size the case back to factory specs. The Lee factory crimp die does a good job, and on the .30-30's tubular magazine a crimped round is a must.

Regarding the Williams FP receiver sight, I have a post in the 464 lever gun section, look at it, it should give you all the details...

I have always heard that neck sizing was for bolt actions and were not advisable for a lever gun. Are you getting good results neck sizing for a 464? Please let me know. I will get the dies. I like necksizing over full length sizing. As you mentioned, there is less stress on the case when you neck size.

what are the reasons not to do it?

as long as they go back into the same chamber it should be fine right ?

what are the reasons not to do it?

as long as they go back into the same chamber it should be fine right ?
Makes sense to me. I never tried it but I will. The reason not to do it is that they may NOT fit properly and because of the weak leverage of the lever itself, if you stick one in the chamber your day is screwed.

One question: I don't have the neck sizing die for a 30-30. Can the regular sizing die be set to do the neck only? How? By just not screwing the die in to the press so far?

I am not positive but i don't think so on the mod, bushing style is all I ever heard .....I think if there was an easy mod they wouldn't be able to sell the neck sizer

That would suck to stick a round, I think as you reach the end of the cases life that might be an issue, might not. As you use the brass , it hardens, loses memory and might fail to release from the chamber.
Usually the brass cracks before that and you cull it with full length

I am not positive but i don't think so on the mod, bushing style is all I ever heard .....I think if there was an easy mod they wouldn't be able to sell the neck sizer

That would suck to stick a round, I think as you reach the end of the cases life that might be an issue, might not. As you use the brass , it hardens, loses memory and might fail to release from the chamber.
Usually the brass cracks before that and you cull it with full length
The Lee ad for the neck sizing dies for the 3030 recommend that they are not used for any but bolt guns. Levers, slides and semi-auto should be full length. They sell them but I doubt you would have a claim if you stick one in the chamber because the Lee ad specifically says no. They probably make them because bolt action rifles like the old 788 Remington and probably others are bolt guns chambered for 30-30 and are still in use. When demand dies down like everything else lee will probably not make them anymore. I have not looked but i will, to see if RCBS, Lyman or any others make a neck size die for this round. Lee is always out there where the other manufacturers shy away from. Could be this is just to fill a void. I will give it a looksee.

The theory I heard, looong ago, was that the less the brass was worked the more reloads you got before it cracked or showed signs of separating somewhere along the body of the case.
True, but some actions do not exert enough leverage to pull a tight round out of the chamber, or push in a tight round far enough to be safe. I know for a fact that when i tried to chamber a case that was not correctly sized, into my 336 Marlin it went part way and that was that. I needed a dowel to back the round out. Dangerous as all heck but I did it. It is nice to NOT work the brass so much but there must be some reason RCBS does not make them. I have not looked at Lyman yet or the others.

The theory I heard, looong ago, was that the less the brass was worked the more reloads you got before it cracked or showed signs of separating somewhere along the body of the case.
its actually the more it is shot.

the heat, expansion and then contraction .

you can work brass cold and lubed quite a bit....add the violent hot explosion and that is what degrades it a a molecular level

The Lee ad for the neck sizing dies for the 3030 recommend that they are not used for any but bolt guns. Levers, slides and semi-auto should be full length. They sell them but I doubt you would have a claim if you stick one in the chamber because the Lee ad specifically says no. They probably make them because bolt action rifles like the old 788 Remington and probably others are bolt guns chambered for 30-30 and are still in use. When demand dies down like everything else lee will probably not make them anymore. I have not looked but i will, to see if RCBS, Lyman or any others make a neck size die for this round. Lee is always out there where the other manufacturers shy away from. Could be this is just to fill a void. I will give it a looksee.
I would listen to Lee.....I have an old Savage bolt 30-30.....cool old gun

Back