• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.30 caliber rimfire anyone?

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
My fantastic mother in law gave me a bunch of shells/cartridges yesterday after finding them in her guest bedroom.

Most of it, was fairly recent stuff. Some wildcat 22's, almost a full box of Remington 12 and 410 shells, a pack of 410 slugs, even a box of 38 spc HP +P and 357 158 gr SP's that I could use for upcoming deer season if I use it.

The wildcat ammo even had a 5 cent Tennessee Tax stamp on the flap that I thought was interesting because it's been a while since I saw that.

But the most interesting thing in the whole box was a single bullet unlike anything I have seen.

I checked it with a caliper and it's .300 diameter (30 caliber) and it's smooth and dull grey bullet and the casing is 3/4 inch long and appears to be nickel plated steel because a magnet does stick to it.

Anyway, here are some pictures of it to see if anyone here may know more about it, when it was made, what it was for, etc.

From the lack of primer, it is without a doubt a rimfire.

30rimfire001_zps266adfcc.jpg

And beside a 22 LR for reference

30rimfire002_zpsd964590f.jpg

Now that you mention it, no it doesn't scratch with a thumbnail. I noticed that it felt "slick smooth", unlike lead that has some drag as you rub your finger across it.

After you mentioned it, I looked up "mattel winchester saddle gun" and found an ad on amazon (of all places) that has some that is similar to this, but this is a straight walled case, compared to the necked case that they show in the pictures here.

http://www.amazon.com/Vintage-Mattel-Bullets-Winchester-Saddle/dp/B009Z585IA

But the more I look at the pictures of it, the more I am inclined to agree with you nitesite.

oldmossy, thanks for the picture of the gun and pack of bullets.

That's awesome.

I think you're on the money nitesite.

Great info.

As usual.

Old mossy, those little Winchester cap rounds cost more than two 50 BMG rounds.

If anyone is interested, I'll take a 50 round box of Wolf 115 gr for it. They're about $10 a box.

,,,,,,,,or are they for a ,,,,,

12499086_1.jpg

Red Jacket .30 cal. rimfire 5-shot spur trigger revolver

I first thought it was an early rimfire derringer cartridge but too much didn't add up. So that's the best guess I have going for now. :)

Back