• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.300 Blackout vs. .223 bbl KaBoom!

Scoop

.30-06
.300 Blackout supersonic fired inadvertently in .223 AR.
Chamber deformed.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

I'm not able to see the picture scoop, but I have heard more than a few occasions where that has happened.

Since the blk case starts out as 223 and is shortened, it will chamber enough to where a primer can be lit off. I don't think it's as much problem with the really long subsonics, but that 30 caliber bullet is NOT going to go down that 22 caliber bore no matter how bad they probably wished that it would.

I won't even use 300 blk and 223 at the same time just to avoid something like that happening to me or someone else hunting/shooting with me. It only takes 1 time to completely ruin your day.

I got off easy when I shoved a 16ga deer load in the 500 12ga.

Boom was a bit off.
Didn't want to shuck.
Fail to Feed.
WTF?

My Extractor wouldn't grab the 16 ga hull, which had split the brass and hung in the chamber a little.
...And there I was trying to shove a fresh 12 ga round into it. :doh:

I thought so.

I have never seen anything like it. Had you not shown a picture of it, I would not have believed it with my own eyes.

That's simply amazing.

They're very lucky. I have seen pictures of receivers that fragment into a hundred pieces before. magazines and live rounds puked out all over the place.

That was really something.

This is another reason why I am so cautious when shooting the 300 blk. Because I have converted almost every single bit of my blk cases from federal 223 cases. Which obviously says 223 on the rim.

So, I won't even shoot 300 and 223 at the same range trip/same time. And even then these videos are enough to make me try to pay closer attention to make sure that I accidently mix them up.

Truth is though, I've only shot the 300 blk once since making the 9x39. To be perfectly honest, I like it so much more.

Though, I must admit, I load them on 7.62x39 modified cases though so that may not be any better than using 223 cases for the 300 blk. LOL

No. I dont' think it would.

The 9x39 bullet is .364" diameter.

It may would with a bunch of bullet setback but if it were to fire (I'm not sure it would completely chamber because it's necked up), even if it were to chamber and bullet were to setback, the pressure would likely bypass a lot of the bullet itself.

If it were to fire at all, I don't think it would be quite as catastrophic as this instance.

Back