• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.308 RPR Report

CaddmannQ

.50 BMG
I got out the Ruger precision rifle yesterday along, with my Marlin model 60, my Ruger .22 pistol, and my 1911 pistol.

The weather was dry and reasonably warm and sunny but with variable breezes.

Essentially we are shooting up into a canyon and the wind is often pushing the bullets up the canyon too.

Unfortunately it's not pushing them straight but there are swirling gusts and dead spots.

The first target was me getting out my aggressions with automatic pistols against innocent paper.

Actually I was trying to shoot double taps with the .22 automatic and .45 automatic at 7 yards.

My first shots are usually right on, but the follow-up shots are always terrible.

Anyhow this is me not trying for maximum Marksmanship, but trying to aim quickly as possible.

20190305_135922_resized.jpg

I shot my buddies 50 yd target with my Marlin .22 and his Marlin .22 Magnum, and unfortunately I didn't get photos of it because he left early. I have never shot a .22 magnum rifle before and it wasn't quite what I expected.

Still I would like to shoot it some more.

This is my 100-yard Target shot with the .308 Ruger precision rifle. There's evidence that the Hornady bullets were tumbling in flight at close range and straightening out at long range. I popped a couple at a 50-yard target and they keyholed. At a hundred yards they did not.

20190305_122002_resized.jpg
Unfortunately this photo is sideways. It was quite windy. I had two complete Flyers in 15 shots and I had a hard time coming up with a good pattern.

The Winchester 180 gn PowerPoint bullet seemed to be better than the Hornaday Match 168gn.

This is my first 220-yard Target.
20190305_135723.jpg
Here I am shooting the Hornady Match, versus the Barnes Precision Match 175 grain. Barnes is absolutely the winner here.

This is the second 220-yard target.
20190305_121337_resized_2.jpg
This was mistakenly labeled Winchester but those were actually Hornady Match 168.

Again you can see the Barnes produced a far better pattern of five shots.

I gave the last two Barnes to my Best Buddy Bobby, and that Lucky Dog hit the bullseye!

He did that cold, and I had been practicing for hours and could not do it. ;(

Anyhow I'm sure that I can create a cartrige at least this good.

Soon I will be reloading again and we will see what my .308 can do.

Last edited:
Cadd, looks like you had a nice day for yourself. I look online at the Ruger RPR almost daily. They are so badass, but probably will just be a dream. Or maybe I'll buy a lottery ticket. LOL. They say ya gotta play to win.

Anyways, nice shootin, wish I would get out myself. Soon though, soon.

Thanks guys.

By the way those .45s were Hornady American Gunner 185 grain xtp. They did not feed as well in my gun as the American Eagles.

Yes the standard bulk box version.

The American Gunners felt consistant, but weaker overall.

The slide hung on eject about 3 times in 20 rounds. It cleared immediately each time when I pulled the slide.

The American Eagles never did that but maybe once in 100 rounds.

I bought some fancy Barnes 180gn lead today so I can load up some homemade Target punchers. I only have 20 rounds for this gun so it's time to start reloading.

That rifle sure can shoot!

The functioning was flawless. Initial accuracy is impressive. I was wishing for some better ammunition and a calm day to shoot, but so far I have no complaints with this gun, buddy.

In fact I am thinking of buying another one in a different caliber. There are lots of neat choices.

Back