• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

38,000 lbs of stopping power.... what's in your Shotgun?

Couldn't tell you how much energy my rounds have, but I do know I would not want to be at the receiving end. :D

I just have 5+1 rounds of Centurion buck and ball multi-defense on board.

Not sure of the math, but man those rounds shoot like they are gonna take off some limbs.

That 65 caliber lead pumpkin ball is a thing of beauty; the weight of holding it in my hand (vs buckshot or slugs) and thinking 1,300 fps - gives you a real sense of '"holy shit !!"

My 88 has 5 rounds of Federal 00 in the tube. I've considered switching it up to truball slugs or PDX-1 ammo.

My thought is I should only need one round per bad guy with a backup round. There will never be a warning, and if the shotgun itself doesn't make the home invader shit themselves at sight a round of 00 buck fired at them is going to end the conflict. I've seen first hand what this ammo does to a human and it is savage. You get hit close range I doubt your coming for more if your breathing.

^^^There's no doubt to that.^^^

I'm sure the 1 and 1/8 oz segmented hollow point slugs I keep in my 88 is a guaranteed one shot stopper. In one hole out three holes. :eek:

a fragmenting slug .......why not just use buck ? Slugs are for penetration

aksavanaman said:
In the spirit of "should I carry bean bags or rubber shot?".... (no judgement if you do carry LTL rounds, I don't )

Interesting thread. Was digging around in the "stuff I've acquired over my life" box and found an old aluminum test slug from 120 mm smooth bore canon. I reckon it weighs about 4 lbs, give or take and was fired by one of the tanks the army converted when they upgraded from the 105mm.

so, roughly 4 lbs 42,000 grains or so @ 6000' a second, god only knows how much thousands of pounds of force it has... hell I'm not even going to do the math. Something is going to have a real bad day. And the percussive pressure created by the blast, to anybody within 30 or 40 feet of the business side of the canon, is probably going to cause a few headaches, to say the least.

I placed a 2 liter soda bottle next to it for comparison.

Just thought I'd toss that out for giggles

Attachments

• 20140118_165113.jpg
    20140118_165113.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 151
Wrenches said:
oli700 said:
a fragmenting slug .......why not just use buck ? Slugs are for penetration

Why not? :lol:

I don't know, but if you ever need to shoot through something to reach something else I bet you'll find out

You mean like a drive by shooting? Yep, I'd like 'em to go through a car and hit the perp. In the house I have my Sig 40 loaded with Hornady CD 165 FTXs.

Yesterday I picked up two of these at Academy:

First one is #6 Pheasant, then #4, then 3 rds of 1Buck, then 3 rds of Rem 00, then 1oz slug. 4x 1oz and 2x 00 are on the side saddle. Gives me some "options" and increases the level of violence a little bit with every trigger pull. All out of a 930 with IC, which cycles that entire load pretty darn fast.

I have 9 rounds of PDX1 in my 930 right now. .I have a Nordic plus 6 magtube so it will hold one more but I keep just 9 in it so I can add a different shell if I want to. Squirrels are a real pest where I live.

I've got a Picture of an 8inch Howitzer Firing a Flechette/Beehive Round.
Buried in one of my Footlockers. Maybe I'll Try & Dig that up & Post It.
I was a Cannon Cocker & Forward Observer in the Army, Years ago.
I Think I Still Have some of those Pics. Talk about the BIGGEST Shotgun on the Planet :eek:
Anyway, I Load my Bedside Gun w/ 2rds of #4 Express, 2rds of #2 Buck & 1 3/4oz Slug.
It's Only a 20GA, But, There's also 3 More Buck & 2 More Slugs in the Butt Carrier.
UncleSarge58

Back