• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

#4 buckshot/choke tube combo

AdamSean

Copper BB
I am looking to do a little predator clean up around my hunting grounds. There are a few limitations though. I can only use a shotgun. I am using my Mossberg 835 and #4 buckshot. bI currently have a Primos Tightwad choke on it for turkey season. I also have a nice Patternmaster Extended choke tube. I haven't been able to pattern them yet. I was just wanting to heard what some of you guys are using to thin the coyote and bobcat population. What ranges and patterns are you getting. Let's them.

Primos Tightwad choke claims a 30" spread at 40 yds. - with #4 buck - 21 pellets sounds like some will connect. I'm not a hunter but have sent plenty of buck down an XF turkey choke looking for long shots - sounds like you are on the right track. Grab some butcher paper and pattern it!! o_O

I am getting closer to 24" at 40 yards. But that is the #5 shot. I am anxious to try the Patternmaster, but have to wait for the rain to stop.

If your going to do it , do me a favor and make it a clean kill, I found a gut shot Coyote a couple weeks ago and it pissed me off......I'd love to find the jerk off who did that :mad:

This is also the main reason I am asking these questions. I dont want an animal to suffer. I want a one shot fast kill.

I also plan on using the pelt for various things. The first is to make a hand warmer and possibly some leg gaiters to keep me a little warmer during deer season.

I know this is an old thread but I am very interested in the answers to this question. Since no one ever came back and gave any info this thread is useless and I'd rather not clutter things up with a new one.

The best I can tell you is what I have in the choke tube thread.

My best patterns came from the Kicks XFull BuckKicker and the Carlson's coyote. Patterns were nearly the same. With the Kicks I achieved what they advertise for patterns which is every pellet in about 22-24" at 40 yards. Carlson's claims are crazy and unobtainable in my shooting but like I said, it patterns like the Kicks. Im actually selling the Kicks because I don't need two chokes doing the same thing.

I have patterns of the 4 buck in that choke thread, likely a couple pages back. I know it doesn't look pretty but it's enough pellets to be lethal at 40 yards. I really wanted to see denser patterns but haven't found it yet.

For what it's worth, Hevishot isn't worth the money. I'm sure the heavy weight T pellets are lethal to 70 yards and beyond, but if you can't get it to pattern and actually put pellets out there it isn't worth it.

Back