• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.410 as a legitimate home defense?

Pointblank said:
My only concern with a .410 is when it is fired out of the the short barrel of a handgun. Substantial velocity loss will effect penetration.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot53.htm

I wonder if the 6" barrel model might do better.

taurus_judge_long021711.jpg

Take care. Tom Worthington

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
Taurus announced it at SHOT last year.

I don't think it ever actually hit any shelves due to an ATF ruling that the .55" bore makes it an SBS, not a handgun. Rumor has it that the ATF promptly asked Taurus to remove the gun from their booth. From what I've heard, Taurus has put production on hold.

I heard this as well. If it was not true then theses BEASTS would be on the shelves somewhere by now.

Rossignol said:
Tom, I actually have a friend with a .410 polymer Public Defender with 3" barrel and fiber optic front sight.

We plan on getting together next weeekend! Now, in the reviews I have done with my daughter Allison, she is using .410 handgun loads in a fixed full choke 24" vent rib Mossberg 500 5 round pump action.

What I anticipate is a wider pattern from the handgun to where it would be better suited for closer ranges. But we'll put it to the test and get patterns at 5, 10, and 15 yards. Most HD/SD ranges occur around 5 to 7 yards. This is where I wanna see performance.

Had to bump this to the top to remind Ross to post those shotshell/handgun performance test results. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington.

Sorry Tom, been weird and strange and busy.

I have the video, have to feel like puttin it together! :D

Rossignol said:
Sorry Tom, been weird and strange and busy.

I have the video, have to feel like puttin it together! :D

You did the test?! Cool beans! :) Take care. Tom Worthington.

Yep! Sure did, we did the PDX at a couple different ranges, I wanna say 5 and 10 yards.

We didnt do any 00 or 000 buck, cuz for some reason we shot it all up! :lol:

I like the discs from the PDX, I was pleasantly surprised how well they placed on target. I have to say it isnt what I expected. I'm not crazy about the pellets though. At 10 yards I think it oped enough to be a liability, although they are 00 buck and are considerably smaller. I'll look up the info on them and make sure to include it.

Now, the test gun was a 2 1/2" rifeled barrel, Taurus Public Defender, polymer frame. I'm not at all surprised about the shot opening from even a short rifled barrel like the Judge series of firearms, the S&W I would expect to do likewise.

The shot wants to follow the rifling and momentum carries the shot outward as soon as it leaves the barrel. So it was wider than I like at HD/SD ranges.

Playing the devil's advocate here friends. My question is why would you want to use a marginal round such as the .410 for protecting your life? My life deserves the most effective protection I can afford. Seems only logical to me. The .410 only barely meets the FBI's 12" standard out of a long barreled shotgun. The short barrel Taurus definitely does not meet the penetration standard in any configuration. Remember it is not pattern that is of first importance in a defensive round, but penetration. Even such simple tests as this are pretty conclusive.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

Are there not numerous handguns that are smaller, easier to carry, just as accurate, and can actually meet the FBI standards?
Are there not many shotguns and carbines that do the same thing?
Again, I pose the question; Why?

Back