• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.410 slugs through a full choke?

Larry23433

.270 WIN
I have been a 12 gauge guy forever but I recently fixed an old Springfield Model 18C .410 with a fixed full choke barrel. In 12 gauge I never put slugs in anything but cylinder chokes, but I have been told that with a .410 it is completely acceptable to shoot slugs through a full choke for a couple reasons. One being that a .410's "full" is measured differently so it doesn't restrict as much as 12 gauge full. Secondly .410's aparently pattern poorly with shot loads without a full choke so full is the standard and slugs are simply designed with this in mind. So can anyone confirm or deny any of this? Is it safe to run .410 slugs in a full choke barrel?

I don't plan to hunt with the gun but sometimes it's just fun to shoot slugs...

Last edited:
Your great grand dad and your grand dad and your dad shot slugs in full choke .410s for over a century. It's very normal, it's common, and nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the confirmation! This is an extremely cheap utilitarian gun but I still didn't wanna risk damaging it. Something about a magazine fed bolt action shotgun just appeals to me.

Back