• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

.45Auto guys

nitesite

Average Guy
"Philanthropist"
A question about bullet weight and velocity.

I have a crap ton of 230-gr RN that does right around 850.

I also have a couple boxes of Federal Hydra-Shok 165s that do 1060.

and I have one puny box of Doubletap 230 JRN that go 1000. They are screamers @ 230 grains. But I only shoot steel 5” Government guns so it’s okay.

I think the guns are supposed to shoot 850-fps ammo.

what do y’all think?

Dosen't matter.
For me and my projected use of my .45s [Glock30 and 1911A1] I use either the 230 RN and the Hydra-Shok.
The difference in my self-defense application is less than 1/400 of a second, muzzle to target.
Neither will hurt the gun and both will hurt the perp.

Last edited:
Get some 308 brass, trim them to 45acp length, and load 45 SMC's. You should be able to get around 1300 fps with a 185 gr and 230 gr up around 1100 fps with a little time working your loads up.

^Don't do any of that in an old or otherwise questionable gun.

For carry ammo in the G30S, I switch around a bit. If I’m not carrying Underwood’s 45 ACP +P 185GR, clocking in at 1,200 fps, it’s usually Winchester Ranger T-Series, +P 230 Grain, or HST 230gr. I do think the 185gr Underwood using the Nosler bullet, can be the best of both worlds, it’s plenty heavy, yet is really moving

Wow. 1200 fps is moving.

Going good. Not gonna complain none.

I bought a box of 185 projectiles and a box of 230s, before the lead “shortage”. I eventually will be loading some, but I have never shot or loaded many light loads in the ATI 1911a clone.

Mainly 200s & 230s

There has to be a sweet spot for that gun, and I haven’t found it yet.

My k245, will shoot short/light pills. But, I can't load them really short. I have to seat them near as long as 230's for them to feed right.

Wilson's Combat makes a spring kit but I didn't see it on their site--maybe you can look around and find it. Spring LINK. They DO have a kit with a couple shokbuffs but it is "standard" tension (ie: 230gr ball) LINK. I got a kit about a year ago that had a few springs and I think 4 shokbuffs for around $20 delivered. Their prices seem reasonable and Bill Wilson is a "good" guy and deserves our patronage. The "light" spring (13lb?) works great with 185gr SWCs I built a number of years ago. Ball goes through, also and hopefully the shokbuff takes care of any extra "hammering" the ball might induce... :)

PS: I'm running this in my Colt 1991 with Nowlin barrel and full-length guide rod...

PPS: my 185gr SWCs are loaded "light" and feed, function and fly fine leaving nice holes, all in the black at 50'. :) Now if you were going to load some super-hot 185s (why? ;) ) I would go with a stiffer recoil spring...

Last edited:
Wilson's Combat makes a spring kit but I didn't see it on their site--maybe you can look around and find it. Spring LINK. They DO have a kit with a couple shokbuffs but it is "standard" tension (ie: 230gr ball) LINK. I got a kit about a year ago that had a few springs and I think 4 shokbuffs for around $20 delivered. Their prices seem reasonable and Bill Wilson is a "good" guy and deserves our patronage. The "light" spring (13lb?) works great with 185gr SWCs I built a number of years ago. Ball goes through, also and hopefully the shokbuff takes care of any extra "hammering" the ball might induce... :)

PS: I'm running this in my Colt 1991 with Nowlin barrel and full-length guide rod...

PPS: my 185gr SWCs are loaded "light" and feed, function and fly fine leaving nice holes, all in the black at 50'. :) Now if you were going to load some super-hot 185s (why? ;) ) I would go with a stiffer recoil spring...
my good friend has several 1911’s and 230gr ball is the most reliable in all of them. I’m not a Glock fanboy by any stretch, but I will say, my G30S will reliability feed most anything.

My k245, will shoot short/light pills. But, I can't load them really short. I have to seat them near as long as 230's for them to feed right.

This is probably my issue, because 185s seem to feed better in the Wilson mags than in the ATI mag.

The stock mag isn’t pushing them up enough. I probably just need to make them longer.

In all of my 1911 Govt and Commanders, I’ve always run 230gr JHP, usually Gold Dot or HST. As long as they are totally reliable and accurate, I’m very satisfied with the choice. Over the years, friends have run 185 and 200 + P’s but they’ve had to alter recoil springs for reliability. Some are ok with these loads. Use whatever you enjoy in a totally reliable configuration.

Back