• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 22LR

I have not read too much about 464 22 LR riffle or seen any reviews. I bought one for my son as his first riffle last week. The choice was mostly a safety issue. The Henry costs less but only has a 1/2 cock safety which I do not like for a young shooter. The Marlin 39a is impossible to get and the cost is unreasonable. So the 464 with it's Tang mounted safety, internal hammer block and having to hold the lever up to fire was the clear choice.
I got a little discount on it since the LGS had scratched the sides badly and nicked the wood. A little wood filler and Tung oil made that disappear, and some scratch out paint polish removed almost all the scratches on the side of the receiver. So cosmetically all is well.
Took it shooting twice now at the range. The lever can be manipulated with a little finger and is smooth. The trigger does have a tiny bit of side to side wobble, but when concentrating on the shot you can not feel it. It is ACCURATE. I have not experienced any malfunctions except when my 8 year old son short stroked the lever at a snails pace trying to see the round chamber. The only thing I don't like too much about the riffle is the finish used on the receiver. It is prone to discolor when a little Break Free Powder Blast got on it when cleaning it today.... polish got it out again.
This is not a gun rack queen. My son loves shooting it even though the length of pull is a little long for him still. It is a fine shooting work riffle and it will be out working during the small game season. Hope this info is of help to anyone trying to find first hand feed back on this great little riffle. God bless.

Congrats to your son on his new Mossy. you get a chance post a pic or two. :)

Hi new here, I've been looking at getting one of these
Its a great looking little rifle and will be my first mossberg
And under lever.I've read your review but have you had any
Problems with it? Also what is the accuracy like?
And what ammo do they like?

Atb

bangers, we have shot it quite a bit since that last post and have not had any problems at all with it. I've shot CCI stingers, Remington Thunderbolts bulk and Fed. Lightnings bulk without a hitch. Only the one mentioned in the original post where my son short stroked the lever extremely slowly trying to see a chamber load. It is very accurate and balances well. Good luck with the new rifle.

hi
i had a quick go with one today with some minimags and it is a very sweet little rifle no cycling problems and accurate
cant wait to get mine, but got to put fac in for variation first, another 10 week wait !!!!
will post a review when i get it.

atb

bangers said:
Hi new here, I've been looking at getting one of these
Its a great looking little rifle and will be my first mossberg
And under lever.I've read your review but have you had any
Problems with it? Also what is the accuracy like?
And what ammo do they like?

Atb

No problems, works great. It cycles every type of 22 LR ammo I've used so far. It is very accurate even though I am using the iron sights it came with. Some day I might mount a scope and try out group sizes with match ammo. But for now it's my son's learning / small game rifle. I know that head shots on squirrels will be no problem even with the cheep bulk ammo I am using.

Hi All as promised a quick review of the .22 version

Well I picked up my 464 last week on first impressions it’s a well made, low weight and balanced sweet little rifle. I`ve only put 100 rounds mini mags through it so far, and it cycles with no problems it holds 14 rounds 13 in the feed tube and 1 in the breech.
On first use with open sights at 25yrds shooting at a target 3” round it was shooting high
But grouping, so with a little adjustment it was soon on target. 85 rounds well inside the 3”Target and grouping nicely.
It does get through the ammo pretty quickly as you can imagine but its fun shooting. the trigger is good and has good feel with I would say a pull of about 3.5lbs. the top of the action comes ready grooved to take a set of scope mounts which I will probably in the future add a red dot or scope but saying this it will change the look of this smart rifle,
which looks the part with its open sights.
I must admit I haven’t tried another lever action Winchester, browning etc to compare the Mossberg to but I would recommend this little gem to anyone as a plinker or mini gun for competition shooting. Try one out if you get the chance

Happy shooting.

Hi

It is, i think a lot of shooters buy by name. a few members at my club have got winchesters and diddent know mossberg made a lever action in .22

have a very happy and peacefull new year

bangers said:
Hi

It is, i think a lot of shooters buy by name. a few members at my club have got winchesters and diddent know mossberg made a lever action in .22

have a very happy and peacefull new year

I guy I work with bought himself a Winchester Lever .22 when he first got up here... has had problems with it ever since. I have come to find that the price of a firearm doesn't always denote it's reliability. That said, even as a Mossberg fan boy, their QC is certainly lacking at times.

Glad to see good reports on the 464!

not posted for a few months now, been through hundreds of rounds and not one miss fire no jams and still spot on fitted a 4-16x40 scope and hitting 1" targets with all shots at 50 meters i just can't fault this little rifle its been one of my better buys next to my Anschutz. Its just fab

We have been shooting ours regularly for almost 2 years now. Only some Winchester 333 bulk pack that would not work in any firearm we tried it in (junk). It even ate up longs, shorts and CBs. Cant say enough good things about this little rifle. Good day and God bless.

Still going strong no problems only one gripe I've lost the original open rear sight !!!!!! Anyone know where I can get a replacement? I'm in uk but not worried about shipping from usa

I've had mine for a while now and love it. We were actually trying to ring a steel target at 100 yards with it on Saturday. I rang it a few times. I really like this rifle.

Back