• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 30-30 Loads

My handloading for my 464 is not working out to well. The accuracy is poor. What loads do you guys use?

I'm using Hornady 170 grain flat nose bullets.
Bill

Last year I tested some loads for my Marlin 336 30-30. The best 3 shot 100 yd group is in this picture. Target is a 3" spot in the corner of a shoot-n-see target. I started at 36.0. incremented loads by .5 grain up to 38.0 gr of Hodgdon LVR powder. The bullet was a Sierra 150 gr. JSP/RN. I use Federal LR Primers, and R-P brass. This target is the result of a 9 shot test. (I miscounted and only loaded 9 rounds, not 10 as per usual.)

I chronographed 37.5 gr of LVR powder with the above components. This target is the best 3 shots of 9 fired, 3 targets of 3 shots each.

Velocities were very consistent:
1: 2376 fps
2: 2363
3: 2368
4: 2366
5: 2387
6: 2362
7: 2363
8: 2338
9: 2436
Avg 2373.2 fps.

3030 fired at 100 yds2.jpg

Last edited:
My handloading for my 464 is not working out to well. The accuracy is poor. What loads do you guys use?

Bill

Have you chronographed them?

We had some issues with powder and static electricity and a number of rounds in my buddy's last batch were slow by 250 to 350 fps

I clocked from 1660 to 2009 in a matter of 50 rounds fired.

Not all had the same brass, but all had the same batches of lead, powder and primers.

Bill
What powder were you using and what charge?

The first is is a screen shot of the Hornady Manual taken off a Kindle book. The second is from the Speer Manual.

I will scan and post the Lyman 49th Manual data if you need more. Most of the stuff I have read about the data said the test barrel is 24" which makes a difference in velocity. (The Speer Manual does say their data was from a 20" bbl.) I don't know how much difference but it could be about 50-80 fps. I'm trying to remember where the article is.

170 gr flat.JPG

flat nose Speer.JPG

Last edited:
In my Mod 94, I've had very good accuracy with 170gr Hornady FN and 34.0gr Rel#15
Also, 34.0gr Win 748 with a mag primer. Same bullet. Excellent Accuracy also. MV avg is 2125-2150 over the screens.

I know this is out of context for this thread but I did not want to start a new thread just for this. I could not find LemiShine to put in with the soap solution in my wet tumbler. I made my own from items at Dollar General. Here is what you need...about a 50-50 mix is fine. Cheaper than Lemi Shine and just as good.

Home Made Lemi Shine2.jpg

Bill

I too am interested because I have a 464.
FWIW, I wondered if the OP's problem might have to do with the retaining ring near the muzzle being too loose or too tight. If the groups are strung out vertically, the bolt/screw might have to be loosened.

I wlll see what she does. If it is the barrel band, what can be done about it?
Firstly, I apologise. I had forgotten the influence of the magazine plug screw #44 on the inside cover of the Owner's Manual. Sorry; it has been a long time:oops: My use of nomenclature was pretty astray too.
My procedure FWIW, is to loosen both barrel band screws. But only if you have vertical stringing. If it shoots OK like CaddmannQ's seems to do............Rejoice and don't touch it.
It does not hurt if the fore end is a bit loose. Leaving #44 untouched, fire a group. If it still strings, loosen #44 1 turn at a time. That is a general rule of thumb. Another way would be to slacken #44 almost completely and observe the result. If it strings and the fore end itself is not slightly loose, then it might be bedded too tightly. It it strings and the fore end Is Loose, then suspect the front barrel band. Its screw might not be fitting correctly in the magazine and barrel "cut-outs". The inside of the band might need relieving.

If you have not tinkered with rifles, all this will sound daunting but really, it is not too much trouble to buy or grind screwdrivers and turn some bolts. The bedding is quite something else.
Best of Luck mate:)

Firstly, I apologise. I had forgotten the influence of the magazine plug screw #44 on the inside cover of the Owner's Manual. Sorry; it has been a long time:oops: My use of nomenclature was pretty astray too.
My procedure FWIW, is to loosen both barrel band screws. But only if you have vertical stringing. If it shoots OK like CaddmannQ's seems to do............Rejoice and don't touch it.
It does not hurt if the fore end is a bit loose. Leaving #44 untouched, fire a group. If it still strings, loosen #44 1 turn at a time. That is a general rule of thumb. Another way would be to slacken #44 almost completely and observe the result. If it strings and the fore end itself is not slightly loose, then it might be bedded too tightly. It it strings and the fore end Is Loose, then suspect the front barrel band. Its screw might not be fitting correctly in the magazine and barrel "cut-outs". The inside of the band might need relieving.

If you have not tinkered with rifles, all this will sound daunting but really, it is not too much trouble to buy or grind screwdrivers and turn some bolts. The bedding is quite something else.
Best of Luck mate:)

Never had to mess with a lever gun before. Only had one and it was a good shooter out of the box. As for other guns, I must be blessed or ignorant because I never have had to rebed, fix a bolt or any other of a million things that need a little adjustment on any gun I have owned. But, I will keep this tid bit of experiential knowledge and if i can see through this 40 oz of beer, I will cuppy and pissed it to a Weird file and just say screw it unti tomorroe.

I removed and replaced that screw to clean out the tube. I tried to put it back exactly indexed to the same location.

My stringing was fairly minor from what I understand but I'm not a lever gun expert.

Conventional wisdom says loosen, reposition, or relieve the band, and you will change the way it shoots.

I believe stringing happens because on each shot the barrel whips a little differently, as the gun heats up.

I removed and replaced that screw to clean out the tube. I tried to put it back exactly indexed to the same location.

My stringing was fairly minor from what I understand but I'm not a lever gun expert.

Conventional wisdom says loosen, reposition, or relieve the band, and you will change the way it shoots.

I believe stringing happens because on each shot the barrel whips a little differently, as the gun heats up.

I have heard more than once that stringing is a result of a barrel heating up. Or a scope moving (back) (You are right Caddmann, Forwards not backwards...duh) in the rings. (The latter was my experience.)

Last edited:
I had a scope move forward but never back.

Then again, this is my first high powered rifle.

This was the gun on the bottom,
20160130_020957-1.jpg

Mossberg 353T .22 semiautomatic. I didnt the have it tight enough.

(There's the .30-30 Mariner on top.)

Back