• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 30-30 Loads

I had a scope move forward but never back.

Then again, this is my first high powered rifle.

This was the gun on the bottom,
View attachment 11193

Mossberg 353T .22 semiautomatic. I didnt the have it tight enough.

(There's the .30-30 Mariner on top.)

I bet your doggie gets po'd when he sees the bed your guns get to sleep in.:rolleyes:

It doesn't take much movement to start the stringing. I put some white tape in front of the front ring and behind the rear ring. If a space or a wrinkle developes I know i need to do some adjusting and some tightening. If the rings are not holding properly, some Gorilla tape or duct tape trimmed to fit inside the rings will hold the scope till Doomsday. (and with all those zombies around, that could be soon.):cool:

Nice rifles. And so well cared for. I am not so good at it. My guns get a little beat up. But they are always right on target.

Sir my dogs are as jealous as a 2 year old mommy's boy, of every little thing and every little attention.

I'm so lucky to have these. I'm lucky to have survived 60 years and prospered, and now I can relax a bit and spend my wages before inflation robs me. Tools and guns are for me. :D

Guns will only gain value IMO. I decided not to piss the money off spoiling my family and instead do what I've wanted to but never could.

I've had some real close calls in my time. I'm lucky to be here. Very.

Dad taught me to shoot and God rest his soul. He'd be happy about this.

Sir my dogs are as jealous as a 2 year old mommy's boy, of every little thing and every little attention.

I'm so lucky to have these. I'm lucky to have survived 60 years and prospered, and now I can relax a bit and spend my wages before inflation robs me. Tools and guns are for me. :D

Guns will only gain value IMO. I decided not to piss the money off spoiling my family and instead do what I've wanted to but never could.

I've had some real close calls in my time. I'm lucky to be here. Very.

Dad taught me to shoot and God rest his soul. He'd be happy about this.

WOW! You're ONLY 60? YOU'RE still a pup. ;)

I never considered ever owning more than 3 guns. Never needed em. Now I still don't need em but I want them. This 464 is the nicest one I own. I also have an MVP Varmint that looks cool but the wood is laminated. It is kind of pretty, even unique. But it aint walnut. It is nice to be able to spend some money the way we want to.

I like a nice solid wood stock. Nothing else seems as stable and secure.

I'll tell ya, these poly stocks do nothing for me.
I have a couple plastic guns and they are for hard use. I know I will be sick when I scratch this one for the first time.

I have a couple plastic guns and they are for hard use.

When hunting pigs in the Territory, we found a mob wallowing in a swamp and made short work of them. Getting to the carcases to remove the tusks however, meant getting dirty going in and getting out. It was deep and the going was hard and many times the plastic butt of my rifle was used as a prop to save me from overbalancing and "diving" in to the mud.

At home a week later, it gave me great pleasure to remove the stock and give it a good scrub with soapy water and a coarse brush:)

WOW! You're ONLY 60?

You must have seen my photo LOL

I tell people I've lead a life of debauchery which is why I look old, but I went pretty bald by about 30.

By the age of 34 I was wearing some serious whiskers. Kids working at restaurants ALWAYS told me about the senior discount, special, event, whatever.

I shaved off the whiskers at 34, and with a hat and sunglasses on I would get carded buying smokes. That's why I grew the whiskers in the first place.

I don't need them now. I gained and lost 60 lbs and so I now have some serious wrinkles.

Anyhow Ill be 60 until next month, But it'll be another year before I get the senior discount at the rifle club.

Range report:

I shot the .30-30 Mossberg today 20 rounds through the chronometer with a revised formula. It seemed to work out pretty good & we had speeds varying from about 1990fps to 2000 with one or two wild ones hitting 1974 and a couple up to 2028 which is about what we were looking for.

In 20 rounds I had to jiggle the gun one time just slightly to get a full cycle. :D
This is 10x better than when it was new. Hell, it ran so well I was all smiles.

HOWEVER, the mainspring link is not precise or rigid enough to maintain position with this low spring pressure level and so getting a consistent strike was not easy I had several FTF on the first strike but always fired on the 2nd or 3rd.

I'll check the firing pin too.

I took the day off special to go shooting with my buddy Bobby who is on vacation, and I also took the Henry Lever Action 22, my Savage 22 target rifle, and my .38 Cowboy six shooter, Plus the new AR, and they all shot beautifully.

As for myself, my accuracy was fair. I want a more powerful scope on the AR & the Mod-1 is going back on the Henry, which is total fun at 25 to 50 yards for me.

I want a serious 9X min target scope for the AR, and possidly a longer barrel upper. Definitely a bipod.

It was the perfect weather and we got a break when cowboys ran their herd through above the 300 yds target.
20160309_105257.jpg Git a loooong Lil dogies....
20160309_105243.jpg

buddy Bob
20160309_105900.jpg
20160309_105745-1.jpg
I quit smoking April 2, 2008. Since then I've only had 3 cigars. Our youngest engineer just had his first kid, so we had to have one. When one of your buds gives you a $15 cigar, you really have to make exceptions.
:cool:

Last edited:
You must have seen my photo LOL

I tell people I've lead a life of debauchery which is why I look old, but I went pretty bald by about 30.

By the age of 34 I was wearing some serious whiskers. Kids working at restaurants ALWAYS told me about the senior discount, special, event, whatever.

I shaved off the whiskers at 34, and with a hat and sunglasses on I would get carded buying smokes. That's why I grew the whiskers in the first place.

I don't need them now. I gained and lost 60 lbs and so I now have some serious wrinkles.

Anyhow Ill be 60 until next month, But it'll be another year before I get the senior discount at the rifle club.

I hadn't seen your pic but was reminiscing about being only 60 again. I hit 65 in February. And I quit smoking in 07 but just to make me feel good, I buy a pack of smokes once in a while just so they have to card me. Makes the kid at the register feel good because he gets to hassle the old man and not get into trouble.

It's nice to wake up this morning with no desire for another cigar.

I have lost the urge, and I was a heavy smoker for over 30 years; but I guess it's just a matter of habits as they say.

It's nice to wake up this morning with no desire for another cigar.

Im not dure

I never smoke them. I would cough out what few brains I have left. I like to smuggle them into the pocket of a "non smoker." I was homeless for about 6 years from 2001 until 2007. I rolled my own and even sometimes with new tobacco. I used to smoke Marlboro until I hit 5 packs a day. It took me 2 years to quit the rollies. But it was worth the effort.

Sorry about the funny post. this smart phone is too small for my fingers.

The meek shall inherit the Earth because tiny people can work a smartphone better

I never smoked 5 packs of Marlboros a day ! because the cost would have been staggering, but I did smoke pipes and cigars which have no filters at all & lots more nicotine. You get the point.

Last edited:
Sorry about the funny post. this smart phone is too small for my fingers.

The meek shall inherit the Earth because tiny people can work a smartphone better

I never smoke 5 packs of Marlboros a day ! because the cost would have been staggering, but I did smoke pipes and cigars which have no filters at all & lots more nicotine. You get the point.

Yep, and roll your owns are just as bad. Marlboros left me wanting after I smoked the roll ur owns.

I am wanting a lever gun so bad.40 years ago I had a model '94 Winchester. Someone broke into my house whilst I was working, don't it figure, and relieved me of all my guns. I replaced only one, and until about 3 years ago that was all I had. I'd like another 30-30, but the Winchester is now out of my price range. I have looked at the Mossberg 464 and the Marlin 336. I just can't make up my mind. Now that I am here I would probably lean towards the 464.

My advice, after polishing off a lot of silver:
Get the blue one. You won't like the silver one as well IMO.

BTW, for plinking fun with my Henry, I was running CCI .22 shorts, and you can put like 25 in it.
You can squirt 'em out pretty fast too.

Thanks Cadd, I prefer blued anyways. I was in a store here in town the other day, Wednesday, and they had Marlins on sale. Price range was $349-$389 depending on the model. They were factory test guns, carried a full warranty. It was tempting, but the timing was not right for me. I'll just stay patient. I'll find a Marlin or Mossy when the time is right. I have considered a .22 as well, but I think right now the 30-30 has my interest.

I haven't shot the rifle but the carbine version does fire with authority, and the light weight makes it easy to bring to bear.

Knowing what I know now, I prefer the blue as well.

I sorta jumped on mine because it was a special price, was pretty in the picture, and my buddy Dave gave me even a better price on it. The guarantee was you could take it back for Life to Davidsonsand they would fix it.

Back