• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 carrier not rising to correct level/jamming

FirstLever

Copper BB
Hello, first post and first lever gun. Took out new 464 to range, had about a 40% jam rate. Ammo used was Winchester Super-X 150 grain. Loaded fine, seemed to load onto the carrier fine (by the way, if I get terms wrong, correct as necessary as this is my first lever gun), but sometimes it either did not raise round up all the way or a little too much. Either way, tip of bullet jams either above or below chamber opening and cannot chamber at all/close up lever. Sometimes it appeared to chamber ie., round chambers but lever doesn't close all the way, have to open and see that round has actually not chambered all the way in, have to pull/wiggle it back out. Sometimes it half way closes and round halfway in and have to do the same. Got to fire exactly 26 rounds only. When it does fire, absolutely beautiful. Anyone heard of this or have a fix? Much appreciated, thank you all very much.

You need to break it in. Try loading and cycling the rounds through it, sit there with some rounds cycle it with the safety on. The load it up again and do it again and again. Also when you cycle it with the lever you need to make sure that you do not baby it but muscle it. After awhile it will be like second nature and things should smooth out a bit while breaking in. Have fun and God Bless :D

Thank you much. I hope it is that. I will try that and see how that works. If any other lever gun owners have experienced this, please let me know as to what has worked. Until then will try the regular break - in procedure and hope that fixes it. Much obliged!

In the meantime, any help will be appreciated if anyone has ever come across this or has any other ideas, please help and thanks!

Back