• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 SPX Hammer and Action binding

1ABNDT

.270 WIN
Good day fellow gunnies I hope your all well, I have been slowly evaluating this lever action rifle and have noticed a cycling issue that I found involving the action and hammer. When cocking the rifle as the action slides back onto the hammer it pushes upwards against the action causing it to bind and cause undue friction, in turn slowly down the actions travel.

To fix this I had filed down the part of the hammer that was causing the unecessary binding to flat in turn relieving the undue upward pressure, resulting in a super smooth action/cycling with no binding or roughness.

(Caution) do not remove to much material from hammer as you will run into a " non striking" issue, "firing Pin strike" issue.

Last edited:
A update to the Hammer Mod, I decided to file down the hammer some more to the point of the "No Cocking" issue and fixed the issue with a Carlsons Hammer Expander. Giving it the right amount of material to initiate the "cocking" of the sear yet no excess riding of the action on the hammer pushing it upwards.

Attachments

• PXL_20210715_193832062.jpg
    PXL_20210715_193832062.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20210715_193726947.jpg
    PXL_20210715_193726947.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back