• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

464 Timing

I finally gave up and took my 464 to a local gunsmith. The timing has gotten so bad I can't depend on a follow-up shot. The next round either doesn't come out of the magazine tube or it just bounces around on top the follower and won't chamber. I've tried all kinds or ammo and bullets.

Also ask him to check into why when it heats up after 3 to 5 rounds the accuracy go south. The hole for the 5th round for sure can't been found on the paper at 50 yards.

Not happy with my 464 in any way shape or form!!

Bill

That's too bad. Maybe you bent a pin.

I bought mine as a toy mostly, as I don't hunt.
One of my problems was the inside of the mag tube was rusty.
cleaning that out solved a lot of issues.

But I really hate the extractor design. I think it drags on the receiver a lot, causing the bolt motion to lag a bit.

Hi Bill,
FWIW,
That "disappearing" fifth shot might be the result of tight barrel bands or a tight fore end. All three on my rifle are somewhat loose. You can slide the fore end backwards and forwards and you can "jiggle" both bands.

Hi Bill,
FWIW,
That "disappearing" fifth shot might be the result of tight barrel bands or a tight fore end. All three on my rifle are somewhat loose. You can slide the fore end backwards and forwards and you can "jiggle" both bands.
My Gunsmith had a different theory. He will probably glass bed the forearm and install a stiffener in between the barrel and magazine tube. Mine flex too much for his taste. We'll see how it goes. It can't shoot much worse than it does now!! I'll have to use my shotgun and slugs for hogs in the mean time. Wish I had spent the extra money and bought a Henry now!! The repair costs for problems that shouldn't be there really &^%$ me off.

Bill

My Gunsmith fixed the cycling problem. Mostly polishing up the action did it. He also installed the metal magazine tube follower for me and cleaned/polished the tube. He says it cycles fast and smooth now. He is now going to free float the barrel and glass bed the forearm. We'll see if the accuracy improves or not.

ko4nrbs,
That sounds interesting. Looks like you are going to have your rifle behaving properly at last. Would love to hear how it goes:)

Got my 464 back from the Gunsmith. It cycles and feeds great now!! As soon as I get out to the range I'll post my results. He did say the bands were way to tight so he relieved them. He charged me $160.00 which I think is a bargain considering it was a single shot before.
Bill

Well that's good news.

Most of my issues regarding feeding were resolved by modifying the plastic follower.

They have a thin trailing edge & mine was swelling up from Heat and lube. It would get stuck in the tube even after I polished it all out.

This has been an issue since day one.
( plus the rusty tube.)

It would feed 3 or 4 rapid fire, then hang.

At Slow fire, I could shoot several more before it got hot and hung.

I will also eventually get the metal follower, or make one from metal or a better plastic.

Back