• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500, 590, Shockwave grip screw question

sixbennetts

.270 WIN
I don't have my Shockwave yet, or I'd just strip the receiver down and look. Is there any way to access the grip screw from inside the receiver?

Last edited:
Can I ask why you want to "access" it from inside the receiver?

You can see the end of the bolt from inside the receiver but that's about all.

For a Shockwave project. If I can epoxy a long bolt deep into the front of the grip, I could fasten it to the receiver with a nut inside.

That would negate the big ugly hole in the palm area. Is there room inside the receiver for a nut?

Last edited:
No room at all. The safety is there.

Make a plug for the hole in the grip.

I just remembered the grip should come with a plug and hardware.raptor grip.jpg

You'd have to start at the angle of the receiver nut, then follow that the best you could to where you want the cap and the access hole for the bolt.

That's why the shockwave has a plug, and why it is located where it is.

Yup, understood. That's why I want to approach it from the receiver side, to avoid through-drilling.

My plan was to find an undrilled wood Shockwave grip from an ebay seller, and try to find a way to fasten it from the inside, but I guess there's no room between the safety and the cross piece inside that the grip bolt threads into.

This isn't exactly an xray or cutaway, but does show the angle of the stock or grip bolt.

I know in your mockup/photoshop, the proposed angle of the bolt is a lot lower and different.

PS, the pistol grip screw is shorter, but is otherwise the same as below.

wm_7053098.jpg

Obviously all of this hinges on keeping the entire firearm clearly well over 26".

Here's my thoughts so far

1. Buy a piece of wood from one of the eBay furniture guys that is cut for contour against the back of the receiver, but not drilled yet, (if it's even possible).

2. Lay the receiver/long bolt shown above on the wood and mark the pathpath of the bolt hole.

3. Design grip shape.

4. Drill hole into front of grip using the lines on the side as a guide.

5. Epoxy a threaded insert into the hole.

6. Thread a long bolt into the insert which has n internal Allen head. (Picture a long, heavy set screw, threaded to match the bolt hole in the receiver obviously).

7. Screw the finish carved grip onto the large Allen head bolt.

8. Screw the grip/bolt into the receiver until it just touches.

9. Finish tightening from the inside through the trigger group hole, if I even have access to the inside of the grip screw hole in the receiver.

I know it was mentioned above that there's no room behind the safety for bolt head, but if I can access the front of the grip screw hole, I might be able to snug it up.

Or not! We'll see.

I was able to get a screenshot from a YouTube video. It is tight, but I think if I start with a regular grade 8 hex head bolt, I might be able to thin the head enough so the safety block doesn't come close to touching it. Or use a furniture bolt. They're used to hold couches beds, and recliners together. That's wood furniture, right!?

This would negate the need to drill the wood raptor grip all the way through, so no ugly plugs.

PicsArt_02-15-02.09.48.png

PicsArt_02-15-02.22.36.png

The bolt on the Mossberg is pretty substantial. I don't know the thread pitch, but one thing that I noticed is the bolt in your photo isn't threaded all the way to the head of the bolt. That may have been just an example showing the thin bolt head, but I just wanted to point out that your bolt would have to be threaded the entire length, otherwise, it wouldn't hold the grip correctly because the nut on the back of the receiver is threaded all the way through and that's how the stock or grip tightens up to the frame.

Even if you pull the trigger pack out and turn the bolt around and go the other way with it into a grip and thread insert, the bolt would need to be threaded entirely.

Back