• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

500 vs. 935

SGT. LB

I'm not trying to start a huge debate here, just looking for some pros and cons from personal exeriences that you guys may have. Which do you prefer, a .500 or a .935 for HD? I would like to hear some benefits from each, as I'm looking for a good HD shotgun. Thanks in advance. Rock of the Marne!

I'm afraid you may get a pretty one-sided conversation with this particular comparison. Our Mossberg 500 subforum contains 181 topics with 3383 post and counting. The 935 subforum has only 12 topics with only 66 posts.

That being said, if we break the comparison down to the basics in terms of preference for an HD weapon we may get more conversation going:

1. pump action vs. autoloader

2. standard vs. magnum loads

I personally prefer the operational simplicity of a pump action for HD use. I feel a lot more confident in the weapon functioning properly when my life depends on it knowing I'm physically cycling the action vs. relying on a chain reaction of gasses and moving parts. Not that autoloaders are unreliable, but there are far fewer functional issues with pump guns overall. I've got pumps and an autoloader, but for a bump in the night situation I'm reaching for the 590a1 without a doubt.

As far as the 935's ability to handle magnum loads, I think it may be more firepower than is necessary for HD. There is quite a bit of conversation regarding overpenetration with even standard 12ga ammunition, so adding even more velocity to the equation only compounds that concern. There are many members far more versed in ballistics than I am, so I'll defer to them for better advice in that department...

For dedicated HD I would choose the 930 over the 935 if you want a semi-auto. If you need the ability to shoot 3.5" magnums for hunting and only can get one gun then the 935 will work.

Otherwise it's more a matter of personal preference and training yourself to be proficient with your chosen platform.

Personally I use a pump for HD, even though I have a 930. I grew up using a pump for hunting, skeet, etc. I know the controls and can operate it without thinking.

Thanks for info everyone. I was leaning toward a pump for some of the reasons stated: simplicity of mechanisms, reliability, etc. The only reason i was thinking autoloader is because i have been in the Army several years, and am an expert with M-4 and AR-15, so I'm going to have to hit the range hard to get some muscle memory for the pump action, but thats part of the fun!

^ I'm in the same boat, having exponentially more training time behind pistols/rifles than with a shotgun. Still, the pump action became second nature very quickly.

Take some time to browse through the 500/590 subforums and the 930 subforum, paying particular attention to the difference in the number of functional issues between the platforms. The 930 can be made reliable but considering the 500/590 platform's track record, it's no contest...

Sold a 500 to buy a 930 for HD and competition. I'm big semi auto fan and like high capacity as well. Check out the discussions that LES mentioned. I like semi auto - I stay on point and pull the trigger and most call the 500 basic simplicity! Hmmm...

I bought a 500 Persuader 20 ga three years ago and took the advice of a friend well known trainer in my area to put a youth stock on it. I recently replaced the wood youth stock with a Bantam synthetic for a shorter LOP and lightened it up a tad more, plus a Raven RCS moduloader. I also have a 11-87 Compact 20 ga, but the 500 will be my go-to gun.

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/modular ... l-carriers

mingaa said:
Sold a 500 to buy a 930 for HD and competition. I'm big semi auto fan and like high capacity as well. Check out the discussions that LES mentioned. I like semi auto - I stay on point and pull the trigger and most call the 500 basic simplicity! Hmmm...

^ mingaa illustrates and excellent point here.

His choice is tailored to his specific needs. In his case, the competitive edge of an autoloader for competition gives the 930 a leg up over a 500/590, yet it still serves his needs as a defensive weapon. He spends a lot of time behind the 930 and is well versed in its handling, mechanics, and cleaning/maintenance. He is confident with his weapon and would not hesitate to reach for in a defensive situation.

We all have a preference based on our needs and comfort level with a given platform.

Back