• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 cheek rest replacement sizes?

ohio_gmc

Copper BB
I realize this could have gone in the 535 forum, but i'm under the assumption this could apply to any mossberg with a plastic cheek rest on the stock of the gun. if i'm misunderstood then i suppose a mod can move my thread and my apologies.

moving on, i recently received a mossberg 535 in mossy oak camo in a trade. i was told it was a turkey gun, i don't hunt at all except for taking out the ocasional groundhog or coon so i did some research and it seems to be everything i was told it is. the gun was barely used by its first owner, and i have put maybe 20 shells through it just screwing around and seeing how it feels (plus who doesn't like to shoot their new gun?)

in the few shells that I have put through it I have noticed that it is nearly impossible to look down the barrel due to this huge cheek rest that is bolted onto the stock of my gun. from looking at pictures of the same gun on the internet, it doesn't seem to be an option that came from the dealer, or perhaps just not a common one.

here are 2 pictures to show what i mean, the first is a picture of my actual 535, the second being the stock of a gun i found on the internet to show you what i'm talking about better.

(mine)
attachment.php

(closer example)
images

after taking the bolt out that holds on the cheek rest, i foudn out that it can't be removed as the stock is cut out underneath it, exposing the composite material/bolt hole, and obviously looks like crap.
the best example of what I am looking for to replace this massive piece of plastic without buying a new stock is this picture that I found online as well:

images

unfortunately (probably due to me not using the right search keywords) i can't find any of these kinds of cheek rests at all anywhere on the internet. are these things they sell aftermarket? my search terms generally leads me to collapsable stocks for the tactical 535. i know it shouldn't be this hard to find a molded piece of plastic that is held on by a single screw.

if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be greatly appreciated. i'm going to gander mountain to pick up a sling and return another item sometime this week so i was thinking about taking my gun in with me to ask their opinions, but i figured asking on here couldn't hurt.

thanks gusy

This stock is available from Mossberg. I would try contacting them to see if they have the lower profile comb available. The higher profile comb is primarily used when there is a scope or other sight that sits above the receiver.

Link to Mossberg Store

They do not list this stock in camo but there is a model of the 535 available in camo with this stock so I would think they would be able provide you with one. They often have parts available that do not appear on the web site, you just have to ask.

Edit: Welcome to the forums and that is an awesome looking 535!!

Attachments

• 95059.gif
    95059.gif
    15.7 KB · Views: 99
thanks for your reply.
I'm not necessarily picky about the comb (didn't know that term) being in camo as long as it is at least black. I was thinking there is no way that anyone could see down the barrel with the taller profile one that is currently on there. would you have any idea if they are generally available at gun shops? i'd like to have one by this weekend if possible, but i will look on the mossberg website as you suggested and see what i come up with.

You might get lucky and find one in a shop if you ask but I've not been able to find individual replacement parts when searching.

i called two local places, both said they didn't have one and would rarely have a single comb laying around.
then i just called mossberg and got one for $7, with 6.50 shipping which kinda sucks but oh well at least it wasn't a 30 dollar plastic piece!

I hate inflated "handling" charges.

Glad you were able to find what you needed. In the long run that gun will serve you well and $14 is definitely better then the price of a new stock.

hopefully it does! i'm more afraid of messing up the camo finish. i've only had about 20 shells through it screwing around, but it seems to be a solid gun. only problem is that twice i've had a shell not eject and the pump would get stuck forward and the action closed. i solved it by gently hitting the butt of the gun on my palm while holding the pump with my other hand, but i'm not sure why it got jammed regardless. perhaps shell size? i was shooting 2.75 shells...

either way i'm happy with it for what i traded for it, in all honesty i had been looking at purchasing a remington later this year until i got this 535 and i as of now i have no reason to get rid of it!

Back