1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

535 turkey and field combo NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Mossberg 535 ATS Pump Action' started by mischief2145, May 9, 2011.

1. mischief2145

mischief2145 Copper BB

hello all new here, just got a 535 turkey and field combo gifted to me, was wondering if i could fire rifled slugs out of field barrel, friend gave me a box of remington sluggers, rifled slugs for smooth bore guns.just dont wanna do any damage to my new piece.....thank you all for your time
  2. redneck hunter

redneck hunter .22LR

you should be able to,it only depends what size of choke is in it.
  3. DHonovich

DHonovich Founder Staff Member Administrator Sponsor "Philanthropist"

Correct about the chokes being the main deciding factor as to whether or not you can shoot slugs.
  4. mischief2145

mischief2145 Copper BB

i put in the choke that the sluggers said on the box.....good to go i guess
  5. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Yep, should be able to go ahead, just dont wanna get into full chokes and rifled slugs. Cylinder bore and Improved or IC youre gonna be just fine!
  6. mischief2145

mischief2145 Copper BB

yes belive it is one of those two chokes i have in, but will try a few rounds with each
  7. ripjack13

ripjack13 Resident Sawdust Maker Staff Member Administrator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Howdy mischief2145, how'd it turn out for you?
  8. gmaster456

gmaster456 .410

Even with a full choke you shouldn't have any problem.
  9. celt1314

celt1314 .410

Good to go I'd say
  10. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

I've done it before. Not my intent but it happened. Nothing bad happened, nothing blew up and we all lived to tell about it. I would not recommend it as I do not know if it would create extra stress over a long term.

You can shoot pretty much any slug out of any barrel as long as you have the correct choke.

Sabots will shoot just fine out of a smoothbore but without the rifling to keep them stabilized will show less than desirable performance (at a pretty significant cost per round). A fully rifled barrel will help get the best results with these.

Rifled slugs will shoot just fine out a rifled barrel but may cause leading. Don't worry about the direction of the rifling groves on the slug itself, those are there to allow the slug to pass through various choke sizes and do not impart spin on the slug. Thay also work fine out of a smoothbore but you may not get performance at longer ranges like you would with a rifled barrel shooting sabot's