• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

535 TurkeyChokes.

sammy0521

Copper BB
Hi, im pretty new to anything that has to do with guns. i recently bought my first shotgun which is a mossberg 535 turkey thug. My question is about the choke system. i basically would just like to know which types of loads are safe to shoot with the different types of chokes. i have the x-factor turkey choke, and a improved cylinder flush choke as well. my main uses for this will be target shooting and pssibly turkey/bird hunting. If anyone can help me out that would be great! Thanks Alot.

As far as safety you can pretty much shoot any load out of any choke.

Where you will notice the biggest difference is in patterning down range. I always recommend patterning your gun regardless of what you are shooting. Knowing where and how dense you pattern is at different yardages through different chokes can help take a lof of frustraion of the equation when trying to hit game or clays.

Caveats to this:

Steel shot and heavy shot. Some tubes are not made with hard enough material to accomodate these types of shot and you will eventually "shoot out" the choke which just means the hard shot will eventually eat away at the tube until there is no constriction left in it.

It is also not recommended to shoot slugs through a full choke as it could become lodged. I honestly have never heard of this happening and myself have shot them through a full choke inadvertantly with no ill effects to the gun.

Thank you very much. Good to know. I figured it was better to ask than have some sort of accident. greatly apprecited!

I can say that the Kick's Gobblin Thunder turkey choke in .665 restriction is a really good choke for that gun. This may be different for you because every choke and gun will pattern different. I posted some high numbers of shot in a 10" circle at 40yrds with my set-up. It's a turkey killer!!

Crappiepro said:
I can say that the Kick's Gobblin Thunder turkey choke in .665 restriction is a really good choke for that gun. This may be different for you because every choke and gun will pattern different. I posted some high numbers of shot in a 10" circle at 40yrds with my set-up. It's a turkey killer!!

It's an awesome choke, I tried one in my 930. They are not HeviShot compatible (at least at the time I bought mine) if that that is an important factor.

My best patterns have actually been with a Primos Tight Wad choke. I've used them in 3 different guns and they pattern really well for me.

Back