• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

5500MK2 and SBS length?

upnorthwolf

Copper BB
A couple years ago I (perhaps foolishly) decided to SBS my 5500MK2. I got the stamp and cut my original, non-magnum barrel to about 13.5" and ran into an issue I was aware might probably happen, it would not cycle correctly. Again, I was aware the autoloading and gas needs issue and was overzealous. So I set it to the side and went on to other things.

Fast forward to now. I have two new magnum barrels coming from Havlin and I am going to try and get this right. One barrel is to cut and shoot, then cut more and shoot, etc. and the other to make the final SBS after the testing. I know the 9200A1 was 18.5" (but some different internals), and maybe magnum loads will add some cycling oomph, but is that about as short as can be expected?

Sooooo, I am hoping someone on here can share their expertise with me? I did also cut a stock down, but don't know if the kick from the unshouldered shotgun exacerbated the cycling issue. I have a replacement stock set.
Thanks, Rick

Back