• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 3-gun mods and tricks.

Kinda looking for things specific to the 590 series. Be it an add-on, modified or aftermarket replacement part, or areas to polish/work. For any possible performance gains.

There are a handful of things that can help improve handling and performance.

Getting the fit of the gun right is a good place to start. How is the length of the stock, the length of pull (LOP)? The factory LOP is rediculously long for most people, it seems it was designed to fit the tallest of NBA players. Some folks will actually cut down the factory stock, but I prefer the Hogue aftermarket stock with overmolded grip. I'm not super tall, 5' 10", and the 12" is a good fit for me which allows me to stand square behind the gun. Imagine the gun perpendicular to the line created by your shoulders, or the intersection of the gun and your shoulders making a 90* angle.

What that will accomplish is effectively reduce felt or perceived recoil. As long as you arent standing straight up with your knees locked in place, you gotta lean into the gun, a rather more aggressive stance than say wing shooting where you would also stand bladed traditionally. The recoil energy will be transferred through your body and redirected to the ground by virtue of your stance.

There are some modifications that can be made to the barrel, such as the work AIMPRO or Vang Comp can perform. This includes barrel porting and polishing and backboring, lengthening the forcing cone, essentially creating more choke in the barrel in an otherwise open cylinder. If youre shooting in competition some of these things could put you in a different class, especially barrel porting. I know AIMPRO does trigger work too, like polishing surfaces. I cant describe what this would improve exactly. M24 on here can, or you can talk to Mike Shaine of AIMPRO.

Heres another option. You can have the barrel threaded for "accu-choke", well you can have it threaded for what ever you like, even Rem-choke, and just use corresponding choke tubes. You can then use extended choke tubes, flush mount choke tubes or whatever, run tighter chokes, and maybe even use ported choke tubes. These will improve shot pattern and can help stretch out effective range. An improved cylinder choke tube is reasonably tighter than an open cylinder bore, effective at closer ranges, and can be used with Foster type slugs, (standard or traditional rifled slugs) too.

If you have the 18 1/2" barrel and 5 round magazine, you can use a magazine extension. You can use a magazine extension regardless, if you dont mind it hangin out past the barrel.

If you have the model with the 5 round magazine, you could purchase an 835 barrel that is already threaded for chokes and overbored. It would be sweet to have the 22" or 24" with the vent rib and run some adjustable 3 dot fiber optic sights on it.

Thats some basic stuff man. I'm certain theres a world of stuff I didnt mention, but some food for thought for now.

Back