• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 Marinecote observations.

Yarob

.22LR
I recently bought two 590s (not A1s) at a really good price from Bud's. They were models built exclusively for a particular distributor (I think) and featured a Marinecote receiver and matte blued everything else. The two tone finish is attractive but makes little sense as it seems to me that the steel parts should be Marinecoted as opposed to the corrosion resistant aluminum receiver and that may be why they were so cheap. Anywho, what I've noticed is that these two Marinecoted models have SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer actions than ANY other Mossbergs I own. I suspect that may be from the slightly added dimension of the Marinecote. Have any of you other gents noticed this peculiarity in your Marinecoted 500s/590s? Knowing what I know now I don't think I'd ever buy another Marinecoted Mossberg shotgun. I've dry cycled these things hundreds of times with no noticeable loosening of the action.

Any kind of coating on the inside of a receiver or small parts can cause a tolerance issue. My advice, keep shooting it

This is the problem I had with my marine coated .30-30.

There was too much coating inside the action. A couple spots were very thick and I went after them with a brass wire brush and some oil.

Anyhow after doing that and shooting a couple hundred rounds the action loosened up very nicely, but it was originally quite stiff.

Back