• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

590 not pumping after a shot.

Hi guys,
I'm having a recurring problem with my 590 mariner. After I take a shot it won't pump, even if I manually press the tab. It feels like something is physically blocking the pump and I'm not sure where to look. It doesn't do it if I dry pump it and it doesn't even seen to do it with unfired rounds. I'm using Winchester and Remington small game and target loads. Is anyone else having an issue with theirs? A search hasn't turned up much.
Thanks,
Tug

The Winchester AA (otherwise known as the cheap walmart stuff) does tend to swell out in the hull and can be problematic when trying to extract sometimes. And why I'm not a fan of it.

Remington small game and target however, have historically been a lot better for me and is usually the only brand that I buy. Especially the STS shells because they are smooth sided rather than grooved because I reload them and they are a nicer hull altogether.

I wonder if either the cartridge stop or the interrupter isn't interfering with the bolt itself?

Especially the interrupter.

Have you field stripped it?

Cleaned it lately?

Perhaps got some debris in the receiver that may be wedged between the interrupter and the receiver?

If it happens again try pushing foreend forward then pulling rearwards if that remedies. then your are applying rear pressure on foregrip while firing ive seen that on more than one occasion. Hope i explain that correctly someone else may explain better.

Winchester AA's cheap Walmart stuff? I sure wish they were in my Walmart! John, which Walmart are you shopping in?

Last edited:
Pretty much the same hull with maybe the exception of the universal having a steel base while the other "may" be brass. But all else is pretty much the same between the two.

Winchester still uses some of the crappiest hulls out there these days and the walls seem to be thin. It's more apparent if you try to reload one. They're not anything like the old Super X high brass hulls used to be.

Oh, you may also be interested in reading this. The entire thread is pretty good, but pay extra attention to the 9th post by member Republican and also make note of the date it was posted ;) : http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=277175

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-Universal-12-Gauge-Shotgun-Shells-100pk/16817526
a9030d46-5f66-4fbd-9e4c-20f8fe314df8_1.ed05f4bcef7fba39a1116f815f3d37da.jpeg

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-AA-Supersport-Sporting-Clay/16817527
894bd2a6-8a66-44d7-8e2a-f24e5c09818e_1.f491a7a402bde866f12b99a1b3bdb5e7.jpeg

I always remember AA as being high brass trap loads.

Anyway, sounds like you're getting shells stuck in the chamber. Try giving it a polish and switching ammo.

Don't be too afraid to gently mortar the gun to get a stuck hull out.

The AA was always the best there was in terms of mass market target/trap ammo. Always the best to reload, too. That's why John's post sort of confuses me. I have no idea why Winchester, with a rep for the best in the AA would make it a cheapo and ruin that rep. I've never seen any AA's anywhere that I shop sold cheapo by the 100 pack. The cheapo Winnies that I've seen were/are always the white box ammo. Even the white boxes work perfectly in a Mossy though. Mossy's aren't ammo particular. The old Winny Super X field loads were high brass and identical construction to the AA's for the folks who wanted to reload some home brew buck and slug loads. AA's were also the last hulls I ever saw that were real brass, not brass-washed steel. That may be changed now. too. No idea.

Last edited:
Ok, here is some further information from Ballistics Products, Inc, which is probably one of the premiere shotgun reloading companies in existence at this time and what they say about them on their product page (here: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Wi...a-275-once-fired-100_bag/productinfo/AABW121/ )
------------------------------

Winchester advises that the original Win AA and the new Win AA-HS hulls are interchangeable. In the general sense of speed and pressure this may be true.

*However, there are some fit and finish concerns that require attention and different, accomodating components. At the base of the AAHS is a .020" thick rim edge where the inner-base cup meets the plastic tube. The ridge catches the gas seal of many types of wads, thus stopping the wad from progressing deeper into the hull. This prevents the gas seal from seating directly on the powder, which is required for proper load combustion. For this reason, the AAHS requires new loading information, outlined here with specific wad recommendations.

"Win AA" or "Win AA-old" refers the the original, tapered AA hull
"Win AA-HS" refers to the new, three piece, High Strength hull

----------------------

Richard, I didn't mean to imply that you could find the AA in 100 pack. Those would be their cheaper universals. And if you don't reload, doesn't matter if you're buying a box of shells and leave them laying on the ground after you pull the trigger.

My comments were based on my observations while using them, and from what I have noticed while reloading.

It is still my opinion that newer Winchester hulls are thinner, tend to bulge out (which can cause extraction issues as noted above) and where reloading is concerned are simply better choices in different brands. I personally think that Remington hulls are really good. I've reloaded some at least a half a dozen times or more and still going. And some of those reloads were really hot.

And the Remington STS hulls are smooth sided on the outside edge, which makes for a nice feeding and functioning hull, especially in a pump or autoloader.

My walmart has Remington STS handicap loads for about $7 for a box of 25. Lately, those have quickly grown into my favorite choice, especially where reloading is concerned.

Tugboater....did you resolve this problem.
Just sent mine back to Mossberg.
Seems to be a burr interfering with an extractor.

Using fiochi's 00 buckshot, s and b and federal 3" 00 buckshot.

Back